•3•

*

"Don't you think it's a bit strange that they're having us do their smugglin'?" Joel mutters quietly to Tess

"Marlene wanted to do it herself. You weren't her first or second choice for that matter." (Y/N) calls back, already in the next room and checking out the gap in the corner of the wall. Joel raises his eyebrows at her hearing and he follows Tess in joining them.

"This way?" (Y/N) asks, a smirk on her face and her (E/C) eyes shimmering with mischievousness. He nods and she slides her way through. Joel goes in after her and powers up the generator, pushing the button on the wall.

"Who's waitin' for us at the drop off?" He turns to the Firefly, a demanding tone edging his voice.

"Some Fireflies that have travelled all the way from another city." (Y/N) shrugs, her arms crossed.

"Girl must be important." Tess states, glancing at Ellie with a look in her eye that made (Y/N) uncomfortable, so she steps in between them. "What is the deal with her? Some big-wig's daughter or something?" The brunette continues.

(Y/N) chuckles just as the elevator grinds to a halt. "You can say that."

She takes a flashlight out of her bag and scans the area, hooking it into her belt and Ellie taps her. "How long is this all gonna take?"

"If this all goes to plan, we'll get you to them in a few hours." She promises, giving her a small smile as reassurance. "I need you to stay close, though."

"I know." Ellie nods, smirking slightly. "Don't you always?"

In the corner, there's a hole in the wall, glowing an ominous red from the light inside. Tess leads them under, crouching to follow the tunnel out to a ladder.

"Climb up and check if the coast is clear." Tess instructs Joel, who does it without question.

"Alright, we're good. Come on up." He says, disappearing out.

Tess, Ellie and finally (Y/N) exit the underground and Joel places the cover back over.

"This rain ain't gonna do us any good." He grumbles as the Firefly checks out her surroundings, the rain already soaking her. "I know where we are now. Follow me."

"Holy shit... I'm actually outside." Ellie breathes.

The moonlight casts eerie shadows, cascading over the landscape and the rain pours in a delicate fashion, drowning the soil and creating pools of water.

"Up this way." Joel says, stepping up into a truck and moving his way through. At the end, the butt of a gun makes contact with his head and he goes sprawling to the floor. A patrol aims their flashlight at (Y/N), who holds up her hands and blinks at the harsh light.