•4•

*

"If we cut through downtown, we can hit the capitol building by sunrise

"If we cut through downtown, we can hit the capitol building by sunrise." (Y/N) states, the rain falling harder and the dark clouds brewing together. Thunder rumbles and a flash of lightning illuminates their landscape; the group coming to the edge of downtown.

"Holey moley. I guess this is what these buildings look like up close." Ellie chuckles slightly, gazing up at the towering buildings. "What happened here?" She then asks, looking around at the rubble.

"They bombed the hell out of the surrounding areas to the quarantine zones, hoping to kill as much of the infected as possible." Tess explains.

A monstrous scream sounds over the pour of the rain and the young girl frowns. "What the hell was that?"

"Sounded pretty far away."

"Are we safe?" Ellie asks, concern in her eyes and (Y/N) bites her lip. "For now."

Making their way up the rubble hill, Tess and Ellie look down over the edge and whistles. "That's quite a long drop."

"Well, there's the capitol building." Joel points out.

"Yeah, we need to get around this mess." Tess mutters.

"This is the downtown area?" The young girl asks and (Y/N) nods. "It was, now it's a giant wasteland.'' She takes a deep breath and points. "Come on, this way." She says, leading them towards a building and heading inside where a dead guard lies.

"He's been ripped apart. Body's pretty fresh." Tess points out and Ellie grimaces. "Is that bad?"

"Yeah, might be... let's not stick around."

(Y/N) heads up the stairs and sighs heavily. "Another one, shit."

"Looks like these guys died waiting for back up." Joel mentions, moving past her and continuing all the way up to level 5. Outside the door they go through sat a clicker and Joel begins pulling it from the wall and Ellie pulls a face once more.

"What's wrong with its face?"

"Years of infection." (Y/N) answers as Joel successfully moves it from their door.

"So what? Are they... blind?" She asks.

"Sort of. They see using sound." Tess replies, watching as her partner rams into the door and it flies open.

"Like bats?"

"Like bats. If you hear one clicking, you gotta hide because that's how they spot you." (Y/N) informs her.

A rumble sounds and the building moves under their feet. "Shit. Whole building feels like it's about to fall apart." The Firefly ducks under a fallen case and climbs over another, stumbling once back on her feet and watching a chair roll across the floor.