•17•

Hate David
Stan Nolan North

*

Winter

Winter

The landscape is covered in the winter white. A rabbit emerges from its burrow, only to be taken down by a single arrow. Donned in winter clothing, the older woman picks the arrow up, pulling the rabbit off and passing it to the younger girl, who sighs.

"This won't last very long."

"It was a good shot. You're getting better." (Y/N) tells Ellie, taking her bow back from the girl.

Ellie ties it to the side of the horse and turns her attention to the deer. "Woah, check that out."

"El, no, we don't have time."

"You'll just startle it." She mutters to the horse, ignoring (Y/N) and heading towards the deer.

"Or we make time." She rolls her eyes, trudging in the snow and following Ellie's footprints as she waits for her by a tree.

"Let me try and shoot it." Ellie pleads.

"One go and then I'm going after it. It'll last us for a good while." (Y/N) says, passing her another arrow and the bow back. The teenager aims and (Y/N) whispers 'easy', only for the deer to be startled off and Ellie nudge her. "He heard that."

"Try again." She pushes her forward.

Ellie heads in front, following the tracks of the deer and firing a shot. She manages to hit it, but it doesn't fall. "How is it still alive." She asks, watching it run off again. "You try."

Passing the bow back to the older woman, the pair take off following the blood stained snow. An abandoned, run-down building comes into view and (Y/N) frowns. "What is this place?" Ellie asks.

"Yeah, this place is not creepy at all." (Y/N) whispers, keeping her in her sights as they make their way in. The other end of the building, the Firefly points to the dead deer and smiles. "There. You got it kiddo." She says, high-fiving her.

The two run over and Ellie studies her shot. A branch snaps in the distance and (Y/N) turns, her bow aimed. "Who's there?" She shouts. "Come out!"

A man steps out from behind the tree. His eyes were stormy and his face sunken and his hair was starting to grey and he holds up a hand. "Hello... we just want to talk." He says, another man following behind him.

"Any sudden moves and I put one between your eyes." (Y/N) threatens, stepping in front of Ellie in a protective manner.

"Yeah, ditto for buddy boy." Ellie adds, brandishing her pistol. "What do you want?"

"Name's David. This here's my friend James. We're from a larger group - women, children, we're all very, very hungry."

"So are we." (Y/N) tells him. "Women and children - all very hungry too." She lies.