•6•

*

Joel keeps his hand on the handle, his eyes closed

"What the fuck? I can't believe we did that!" Ellie exclaims, becoming angry and upset all at once and (Y/N) tries to calm her down.

"Stop." Joel says, his voice low.

"We just left her to die!"

"Ellie..." (Y/N) whispers.

"Stop." Joel orders, his voice harsh and he glares at the pair. "You two stay close to me. We have to move."

(Y/N) gives him a worried look and he ignores her, leading the way to the stairs. "We'll go up here. We can probably get out this way."

There's yells and shots firing from the room that they left, but they keep pushing on at Joel's request, not wanting to look back. The noises stop just when they reach the balcony, overlooking the floor below where they were.

"Target neutralised. She took out two of my men." One states and then nods. "Copy that. You take out that door. You. With me." He orders.

They spot Tess on the floor, surrounded by her own pool of blood and (Y/N) pulls Ellie away, not wanting her to see that. Joel stumbles back a bit, but regains himself and moves out, not saying anything.

"They're gonna be here soon." (Y/N) says, her voice quiet and she follows him into the next room.

The trio silently make their way around and back out to the exit, careful not to be noticed until they're outside and make a run for it towards stairs leading underground.

"They're going into the subway! Stop them!" A voice yells and a truck appears at the top as they drop down.

In the subway, the air is filled with spores and Joel and (Y/N) pull on their gas masks. She hears a voice ahead and pulls Ellie down behind a chair.

"How the hell you breathin' in all this stuff?" Joel whisper-shouts to Ellie and her face softens, a look of hurt flashing across. "I wasn't lying to you."

Another soldier runs in and the pair of them plan to search the area. (Y/N) places a finger on her mask over her lips, motioning for Joel and Ellie to follow her. She hides behind the benches and heads into the carriage of an abandoned train, exiting through the door and onto the tracks.

"Screw it. I'm not going down that tunnel." One of the soldiers says.

"Let the clickers have 'em, we're outta here."

(Y/N) continues through the next train, dropping down into water and is quickly followed by Joel.

"Hey, uh. I can't swim." Ellie reminds them and Joel sighs. "We'll figure something out." He reassures her.

He then turns back to (Y/N), who gives him a small nod and swims off. She manages to find a platform and calls him over, allowing him to push it to Ellie to support her. He pushes her to the ledge they need to go and the Firefly takes the other side of the platform, letting her stand on it and climb up.