•13•

*

The trio silently and stealthily make their way through the building, taking out all the hunters in their way

The trio silently and stealthily make their way through the building, taking out all the hunters in their way. At the front door, (Y/N) moves a cart that blocks it and pulls the doors open as far as the locked chain would let her.

"Okay, under it." She mutters, letting Ellie go first and following closely behind with Joel taking the rear.

The gates next to them begin to shake and large hits are heard along with the shouts of more hunters finding their location. They make a run for the bridge, but the gates burst open and the truck veers out.

"There! They're running for the bridge!"

The trio doesn't stop when a rain of bullets comes showering down on them. Joel trips, sprawling to the ground and (Y/N) stops, making a quick decision to help him to his feet, yelling at Ellie to keep running.

"That was stupid." He mutters at her and they navigate past abandoned lorries and cars.

"Yeah? Well you can owe me one then can't you." She shouts back, the pair climbing over the two buses that barricades a section of the bridge and then stopping as they realise the bridge was cut off.

"Shit, fuck!" Ellie exclaims.

"How many bullets do you both have left?" Joel asks, hurriedly preparing himself.

"They're gonna kill us!" (Y/N) exclaims.

"What other choice do we have?"

"We jump!" Ellie suggests, looking down into the water and Joel immediately shakes his head.  "No, it's too high and you can't swim." He looks around, the fear evident in his eyes. "I'll boost you up and you run past 'em."

The truck's light blinds them and it rams into one of the buses, knocking a car into the abyss of water below.

"You two. You'll keep me afloat." Ellie says.

"Ellie." Joel brushes her off.

"No time to argue." She shouts and turns, running for the edge of the bridge and jumping without a second thought.

"Ellie!" (Y/N) screams, following in the young girl's footsteps. The wind whistles in her ears and soon she is plunged into the darkness. With the current pulling her, she emerges coughing and looks about.

"(Y/N)! Joel!" Ellie's voice is distant.

(Y/N) swims as fast as she can to Ellie and grabs her. The current takes them along and a pair of arms wraps around the two. Joel protects them, turning them in the water and his back slams into a piece of debris making his vision switch off.

--

Slowly, his eyes peel open and try to adjust to his surroundings. His mind immediately goes into overdrive until his blurriness clears and he recognises Sam and Ellie.