•21•

*

"Look, I know you mean well

"Look, I know you mean well... but there's no half-way with this. Once we're done, we'll go wherever you two want. Okay?" Ellie says, already halfway down the stairs.

"Well, I ain't leavin' without either of ya, so let's go wrap this up." Joel mutters.

They turn on their torches and make their way through the abandoned building as a short cut, heading out of the hole in the corner of the wall.

"You - you don't think they want you to stay, do you?" He suddenly asks, looking worriedly at (Y/N).

"No, no they shouldn't." She says with a curt nod and then meets his stare. "Right?" Her eyes were glistened as if full of tears, but she had nothing to be upset for. There was no way he would let her go after everything.

They fall silent, letting that possibility sink in once they loot the multiple tents scattered around the base.

"Well this place takes me back." Joel mutters and the two frown.

"How so?" (Y/N) asks.

"It was right after everything went down. I ended up in a triage just like this. Man, everywhere you looked, you just... saw families torn apart. The whole damn world seemed to have turned upside down in a blink."

"Is that after you lost Sarah?" Ellie hesitantly asks.

"Yes, it was." His voice is small and soft and the young girl gives him a warm smile. "I... can't imagine losing someone you love like that. Losing everything that you know. I'm sorry, Joel." She says.

"That's okay, Ellie."

The trio cuts through a bus, clambering out the broken window and make their way down into the tunnel. (Y/N) turns on her flashlight and sighs in a soft content. "This time is gonna be different. I just know it." She suddenly states.

"What do you mean?" Joel quizzes, raising an eyebrow and she motions to the pendant.

"The Fireflies. They're gonna be there - I'm sure of it."

He looks confused, knowing what had happened the last time and gives her a small smile to reassure her, covering up his doubt for her. Even though the pairing was on rocky terms when they met, he would now do anything for her.

She climbs up over the abandoned, rustic truck and drops down the other side, listening closely to the clicking sounds that echo around the tunnel. "Oh... shit."

"Oh my god, there's so many of them." Ellie whispers when the group silently move forward.

"I know. Let's keep at it." Joel replies.

--

A truck was laid on its side, blocking their pathway and Joel lifts (Y/N) up onto it and helps her hoist Ellie up. (Y/N) leans on her front, extending her arm and Joel jumps, grabbing her hand. From the weight, she grunts but pulls him up nonetheless and he studies the drowned tunnel on the other side.