10 - Wonderland Doesn't Exist

Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction. ~John F. Kennedy

Luke's POV

The past week rolled by fairly smoothly, it was currently another Monday. Michael would typically come sit with me during lunch, and visit me in the library after school.

But I honestly hadn't expected him to be an idiot again.

"Hey will you come with me, really quick?" Michael caught me at lunch, standing at my locker. I sighed, closing it I reluctantly followed.

"Where are we headed?" I asked.

"Surprise close your eyes." Michael said and I rolled my eyes before letting them close. I remember hearing a growing volume of voices and felt my grip on Michael's hand tighten. I felt myself be pushed down onto a chair.

"Open." Michael said. I did what he said and opened them, blinking a few times to adjust to the light, I then saw that I was sitting at Michael's clique's table.

And let out a shriek.

Getting some chuckles.

"Guys this is Luke, Luke this is everyone else. You guys are going to be nice to Luke, okay?" Michael ordered and they all just scoffed and went back to what they were doing.

"Michael are you dumb?" Calum snapped at Michael. "Why would you bring him here? Just look at how uncomfortable he is. Dammit Michael you can't force him to like your friends and you can't force your friends to like him."

"I'm not!"

"You are!" Calum responded. "Luke do you even want to be here right now?" I shook my head. "Exactly! So lay off the boy, Michael!"

As the two bickered I felt a tap on my shoulder and was relieved to see Ettie's black rimmed glasses.

"Come on." She grabbed me and dragged me over to Natalie and Ashton who were frowning.

I sat down across from Ashton and next to Ettie as I tried to calm my shaking hands.

That was so uncomfortable..They were all shooting me dagger filled glares.

Why on earth did Michael have to do this..

•••Later That Day•••

I was now standing at my locker, I didn't have a class last period, so here I was during passing time, packing up.

"Hemmings!" I heard someone yell and sighed as I set my back down and was slammed into the locker. Turning around was Vanessa, Victor and Winston.

"Look, Hemmings," Vanessa snarled. "I don't know who you think you are, but Michael, Michael is mine. Got it? I don't you near him and I especially don't want you at our table, got it?!" I nodded quickly, I might have gotten off the hook! "Good good, but just to make sure..Rough him up boys." Or not.

They dragged me off to the bathroom to beat me up and just as I was begin pulled towards one of the bathroom stalls I was dropped to the ground. I was still dizzy from all the times that they hit me before, so I didn't think anything until I was hiked up off the ground.

Oh great..Someone else to beat me up.

"Hi Luke." Calum's face appeared in my vision and to say I was shocked was an understatement. Especially to see Ashton at his side.

"What.." I mumbled.

"Are you okay?" Ashton asked and I shook my head as I curled up against the wall, crying at the pain surging through my body but it was nothing compared to the mental anguish.