Normalcy? What's that?

BEEP BEEP BEEP.

BEEP BEEP BEEP.

I opened one eye, then closed it, refusing to acknowledge that it was time to wake up already. I reached blindly for my cell phone, swiping the lock screen with practiced moves and rejoiced in the quiet.

Damn it. I couldn't fall back asleep. I stretched my body and spent longer than I should have scrolling through Twitter on my phone in obvious denial that I was supposed to be getting up for school. With a groan, I pushed my legs over the edge of my bed and snapped my fingers, concentrating on an image of me with freshly washed and dried hair. I felt the distinct change in the air that was a remnant of my magic.

In only a few minutes, I had conjured up a cute shirt from the bottom of my drawer, zapping the wrinkles out with a flick of my finger and was almost done zipping up my jeans when I heard my dad calling me from downstairs.

"Liza! You had better be awake! Come have breakfast before you leave!"

Zapping my hair into today's look, curly, I grabbed my backpack and trudged downstairs. I sat down at the breakfast table, and glanced at the clock. Crap. I only had fifteen minutes to get to school. I chomped down on a piece of toast, kissed my dad on the cheek and bolted out the door.