Mean Girls

• Dedicated to Annette

Shira cornered me the next morning, but not about what I'd thought. I'd managed to get up early, zap myself some iced coffee and pick out a cute outfit. I felt more confident than I had yesterday, and I sure as hell wasn't going to let Lacey get to me.

The first thing I heard when I came into the building was the sound of Shira shrieking. She ran up to me and started yelling at me.

"Why didn't you tell me about your showdown with Lacey yesterday? I had to hear about it through Marcus Shore!" Marcus was more of a gossip than any girl I'd ever met. I had no idea why Lacey being her usual bitchy self would be gossip-worthy news, though.

When I pointed this out to Shira, she waved it away. "It is gossip! Because after Lacey bitched you out, Bradley broke up with her!"

Wait. For a second, that sounded like Bradley broke up with Lacey. Because of me. Which wasn't even remotely possible.

"Haha, very funny Sheer, there's no way that happened." My heart was frozen, unbelieving.

"No, I'm serious! He told her that he couldn't stand being with someone who was so horrible to someone who had never done anything wrong to her." Shira seemed sincere, and I knew that she would never lie to me about anything concerning Bradley. She knew me better than to mess with me where he came into conversation.

After a second, where I let this new information fully sink in, I started jumping up and down with Shira, completely psyched. Bradley was now officially single. Nothing would stand in my way now, not anymore.

I was on cloud nine as I went to my first class, taking a seat next to Annette, one of my friends from camp. We had both worked together a few years ago, and even though we had taken different jobs through high school, we stayed friends. As I took my seat, she turned to me with a gleeful look. "Did you hear about Bradley?"

"I'm still trying to process it, but I totally can't believe it." She laughed at me, knowing how far my obsession with Bradley went.

"Speaking of things we can't believe, my parents bought me a car for my birthday!" She gushed.

"No way! Your own car? That's awesome!" I was so happy for her. She'd been saving up for a car all year and now her car fund could go to college.

"Yeah, I'm still freaking. It's a Mini, but I love it! Do you want a ride home later?"

"Um, duh! We need to break that car in!"

"Oh god, will I be expected to hear your awful singing the whole ride?" She rolled her eyes playfully at me.

I smacked her arm. "I'm not that bad! It's the inhuman sounds these singers try to reach these days!"

She giggled. "Yeah, sure it is."

I smiled as the teacher began class.

***~~~~***

I avoided Lacey's gaze in class that day, which was hard because she was staring daggers at me. Her friends had ignored her at lunch and Bradley had gone to sit with some guys from the football team instead of at their usual table. He hadn't said a word to me, which was for the best because I was terrified of the blabbering that would come out of my mouth if he approached me.

I was more than happy to take the ride that Annette offered me this morning. We piled into her adorable red Mini Cooper and I laughed when I saw her standing against it when I first got outside. She was wearing red jeans with a black v-neck tee and her red backpack; needless to say, the girl had a thing for the color red. She turned on the radio and Chandelier by Sia came on. I gave her an evil look and launched into the chorus: