VII

Thomas and Ariella made their way into the city just as curfew was starting. Their job was to find Teresa.

Teresa looked across the way and saw Ariella and Thomas holding hands. A train passed, and they were gone. She ran to follow them, but they'd disappeared. She saw two figured that looked like her friends and followed them. "This is an alert. Curfew is now in effect. Anyone caught in violation of the curfew will be subject to immediate deportation."

"Thomas? Ariella?" She called. The couple turned and walked into an alleyway. "Thomas. Ariella."

Thomas removed his hood and said, "Hey, Teresa."

"You two shouldn't be here. If Janson finds out you two are here..."

Ariella shook her head. "We're not staying. It's just, uh...We had to see you." She hesitated and Thomas continued for her.

"We have to ask you something. Do you regret it? What you did to us?"

"Sometimes. But I did what I thought was right. I'd do it again."

Thomas nodded, glancing down at his stone-faced girlfriend. "Good."

He glanced up and the person they'd brought with them placed a sheet over Teresa's head.

They made their way back to the compound and the sheet was removed from Teresa's head. She looked around the room to see her friends staring at her angrily. Ariella's hurt the most. They were the only two girls in the Glade, and they got along well.

"Gally?" Teresa questioned.

"Here's how this is gonna go." Gally said. "We're gonna ask you some questions, and you're gonna tell us exactly what we need to know. We'll start off simple. Where's Minho?"

"You guys don't seriously think..." Teresa began, turning to Ariella who was seated on Thomas's lap.

Gally put a chair in front of the couple. "Don't look at her. Why are you looking at her? Look at me. She's not gonna help you. Now, we know you have Minho in the building. Where?"

"He's with the others in holding" Teresa answered. "Sublevel three."

"How many others?" Newt asked.

"28."

"I can make that work." Brenda said, holding up a card.

"No." Teresa said. "No, you guys don't understand. The whole level's restricted. You can't get in without a thumbprint ID."

"That's why you're gonna come with us." Thomas replied, running a hand through Ariella's hair.

"Well, I don't know." Gally spoke. "We don't necessarily need her." He stood up "Right? Not all of her. We just need her finger." He picked up a knife.

"Gally, back off." Thomas said.

"What' are you squeamish? I guarantee you she's done a lot worse to Minho."

Ariella stood up. "He said back off."

"It won't make a difference." Teresa said confidently. "Do whatever you want to me. You still won't get through the front door. The sensors will pick you up the..."

"We know." Thomas interrupted. "We're tagged. Property of WICKED." He knelt down in front of her. "You're gonna help us with that, too." He held up the knife.

Thomas went first and Teresa said, "Try to relax. This is gonna sting."

"Let's just get it over with."

Teresa glanced at Brenda's disappearing figure. "She's looking good. Healthy. How've you been getting her serum?"

"What are you talking about?" Thomas asked.

"Brenda. I didn't think she'd still be alive. When was her last treatment?"

"At the Right Arm." Ariella answered. "The last time we saw you."

Teresa frowned as Thomas jerked away. "Thomas, Ariella, that's not possible. She should have turned by now. There's no way she could possibly still..."

"Alright, that's enough."

"You both don't believe me?"

"Do you really expect us to? You made your choice. Help Ari."

Teresa had Ariella sit down. "Hold her hand, Thomas."

Thomas held Ariella's hand as Teresa removed the chip.

Gally walked up and asked, "Everything okay over here?"

"Yeah." Thomas said. "Yeah, we're done." He walked off and Ariella followed.

Teresa reached for the tools she had used on Thomas and Ariella, but Gally stopped her. "Nice try."

Thomas and Ariella walked up to Brenda and she asked the girl, "You were friends with her, weren't you?"

Ariella nodded. "Yeah, I was. We both were."

"Just be careful. You both sort of have this problem where you can't walk away from people. Even when you should. You can't save everyone, Thomas. That goes for you too." She handed the two of them a gun.

Thomas pursed his lips. "We can try."

Thomas and Ariella cocked their guns in sync.