Three - A breeze from the past

The queue of soldiers lined up before the East-Gate was so long you couldn't see its end

          The queue of soldiers lined up before the East-Gate was so long you couldn't see its end. They weren't allowed in yet so they were waiting, and the contrast between the unsullied and the Dothraki was striking. When the firsts stood in silence still as stakes, the others moved around and could be heard from all the way up to Castle Black. It was unusual to witness this kind of picture but this wasn't what Arya wanted to see. She kept looking up, hoping they would be here any second. At some point she had even wondered if she had missed them. From what she could remember of her lessons, the last dragons in Westeros were no bigger than cats but Daenerys's dragons were said to be large.

When she was a girl she had spent hours reading about Aegon, Visenya and Rhaenys's conquest of Westeros. Right after she had first got her hands on the book, she would come up here, in the broken tower where no one could disturb her, and read about Rhaenys and Visenyas victories. She had always been told proper ladies had to wear pretty dresses and sing songs ; Visenya was a Queen, yet she wore no dress, instead she owned a valerian steel sword and rode her dragon into battle. It was her that made Arya realize she didn't have to be any of what they said she should be.

She had heard Daenerys rode her dragon too so when she saw her arrive on horseback, it was a huge disappointment. The broken tower had an ideal position to see over the yard, and Arya didn't miss a single detail. She watched Jon and Sansa, so happy to see each other. It felt odd since they barely used to talk back then. She watched Bran as well, nailed on his wheelchair and remembered how much of a talented climber he used to be. Many times, she had tried to climb herself but never could, « it was his special thing, » she thought. What tasted the bitterest though, was that although she had reunited with her brother, everything was different. Him most of all. When she came to the realization Bran wasn't the Bran she knew, it was like loosing him all over again.
That's why she hid up here, instead of greeting Jon, worried it meant facing what she feared the most. He had always been her favorite sibling, the memories of them together were her most cherished possession. A grip of dread took over her when the thought of their bond only existing in the past crossed her mind.

What if he's not the same? she thought, as she sat up there, ambushed by this feeling she was unable to fight. Fear cuts deeper than swords, she said to herself, it always have.

High up from the broken tower, where no one could disturb her, she watched over the only family she had left. The closure between them made her wonder whether there was still some room for her. She had been away from them, from Winterfell, for so long she wasn't sure if she knew how to be a Stark anymore.

Maybe Jaqen was right, she thought, maybe, a girl is no one.

She watched Sansa and Jon walk in the yard closer than ever and couldn't help but feel the distance.