Seven - Old friends, winter companions

The birds were singing outside as the sun was rising

                        The birds were singing outside as the sun was rising. Samwell had spent another sleepless night in the library. All the candles he had lit up had burnt out, and the morning daylight was hardly bright enough for him to be able to read. He rubbed his eyes, swollen and itchy from the lack of sleep and closed off his book. It was the oldest book in Winterfell and, he had hopped to find something that could help them face what's coming, but it was nothing but legends and stories for children.
Jon was here since the day before so Sam hid in here, hoping he wouldn't come looking for him. Gilly always underlined how much of a nervous talker he was and this situation could easily make him reveal what only him and Bran knew. The secret he kept was the bottom of a house of cards. Once it's out, everything falls apart.

There was no pushing it aside anymore, he was expected at the general training in the yard, as were every men, and women. Jon would be there. He walked out of the library to the wooden balcony, picturing how it would go down. Fighting had never been his thing no matter how much he trained but this was the least of his concern at that moment.
As he pushed the door open and took a few steps down, his side vision saw a silhouette walking towards him. It wore all black.
Jon.
He was walking head low, looking at his feet. It was only a matter of time until Sam had to see him but not right now. He wasn't ready now. Without giving it a thought, he rushed to the door that didn't close yet, to find refuge in the library he fancied so much.

« Sam? Hey! Sam! »

He squized his eyes hard and let go of the door. His face showed the cringiest smile as he turned around slowly.
« Jon... Hey... how have you been? » « How have I been? Come here, » he said, with a genuine smile, and gave him a tight hug. Sam flaunted the same frozen smile and couldn't move a muscle.
« Where were you this whole time? I could've used your help yesterday, I'm sure you would've found the words to make everything sound better, » said Jon.
« Oh, Would I? »

Jon frowned slightly. He couldn't tell what exactly, but something felt odd in his behavior. Sam could read the skepticism in his eyes, so he tried to sound more like himself. « It didn't seem bad to everyone! Gilly is eager to kick some white walkers arse!»
Only after these words came out of his mouth did he realize he had never actually said "arse" out loud and that what he had just said made no sense at all. Jon tilted his head back and blinked, while staring at him still. « But she won't be... She will be brought to safety. With the other mothers, the children and the sick, » he said. « Right, I ... »

It was obvious Jon knew something was up. When the time comes he would learn about his true heritage, adding another worry to his plate. Sam had made it all about himself, about how he would keep this secret, when Jon was the one to pity. He had heard of all he had been through since he left for the Citadelle. No need to be a measter to know that all he needed from him was to be the Sam he knew, who supported him through every choices he made. No matter how bold.

He put aside all that was on his mind and placed his hand on Jon's shoulder. « Don't be hard on yourself. You're doing what needs to be done to save everyone. Like you always do! If we have victory they'll thank you for making the choices that no one else could. They'll sing songs about you ! » he shrug his shoulders and smiled, « And if we don't ... well, we'll all be dead anyways so that doesn't matter.. » Hearing this made Jon smile, he nodded and tried to believe that was true.