chapter 4

[ reader's pov ]
•••

one day, after school I made my way to the school's entrance. I had used the string around my pinkie finger to find where my blonde soulmate went.

I ran up to him and smiled. "hey, bakugou."

"f**k off, printer paper."

he continued walking, not even sparing a glance for me.

despite that, I walked by his side quietly.

"so bakugou, do you like any shows at the moment?" I asked in an attempt to spark up a conversation.

he grumbled. what a great answer.

I shrugged. "you wanna head somewhere? I can buy you a snack or something."

"no."

"ok then. well, you wanna hang at my place? we could watch a movie or something."

"no."

I sighed. "pleeaassee lets hang out or talk or sOMETHING! I wanna get to know you better."

he stopped, causing me to stop and turn to him. he had a scowl on his face. "would you shut the f**k up? i don't care if you're my soulmate or whatever. I don't wanna hang out with you, dumb***."

"i-"

"didn't I say to shut up? seriously, you're so desperate and clingy."

I opened my mouth to speak, then decided against it. bakugou continued walking, leaving me standing there.

he's right.

I am clingy. and desperate. and dumb.

all I could do was let out a bitter laugh. from the corner of my eye, I saw bakugou turn to me, confused no doubt.

as my vision became blurred by tears, I ran past bakugou as I rubbed my eyes furiously.

"sh*t wait-" I heard him say. I ignored him and attempted to pick up my pace.

I heard a tearing noise as I ran.

I heard bakugou gasp, causing me to slow down.

cautiously, I spun around to face bakugou.

my (e/c), tear-filled eyes met his wide, red ones.

my eyes slowly shifted to the space between us.

there it was.

our red string.

it was torn...

it was as if it were holding on for dear life. the string was shaking as we stood there in complete silence.

it's not supposed to break. how did this happen? it's not supposed to break. it didn't break. it couldn't have. how-

"what?" bakugou asked with a shaky, quiet voice.

I was holding in my breath as I walked forward, reaching out to the part of the string that was tearing away.

bakugou did the same, his legs shaking. our fingertips brushed against each other's as we held the red string in our hands.

the broken red string.

the supposedly unbreakable red string.

funny. the only iceberg in our story was ourselves.

"bakugou..." I whispered, my voice squeaking as a tear fell down my face. "what did we do?"

~ • ~ • ~ • ~

a/n : im not very good at angst / sad scenes

^^ also I accidentally wrote sad as salad

i'm not very good at writing salad scenes. I do have a couple of bananas tho 🤧

also ugh I hate this ch it's so bad