Chapter 13 • Metal Tongue

JANIE'S VIEW

His fingers and his warmth that embraced my hand, slowly disappeared as he put his keys into the ignition, starting the car. I awkwardly placed my hands into my lap, over my book as I had no idea what to do with my hands now. Maybe I was over thinking this, which I probably was, but I felt like now that his hand had suddenly went away, I didn't know what to do with mine.

Do I place them in my lap, or uncomfortably intertwine mine together as I anxiously gaze out of the window? I don't know. I took a deep breath, bowing my head as I stared down into my lap, shifting my thoughts, or attempting to at least. "What are you thinking about?" His raspy voice had questioned, echoing inside my head as it snapped me out of my thoughts.

I gulped aloud. "Hmm?" I gave a quiet hum, as I turned to him with raised eyebrows, causing him to send a glance to me, sending a lifted brow my way. "What are you thinking about?" He repeated himself, turning back to the road as he had turned onto the freeway.

"You seemed very.. deep into thought," he had added, staring at me through the corner of his eye. I turned my body and attention away from him, as I shrugged. "Well... I've been thinking about-," I cut myself off with my thoughts, I wouldn't dare admit that I've been overthinking where I should put my hand for the past ten minutes to him, so I quickly added, "my new book. I'm just really excited to read it."

"Oh yeah?" A grin had loosely and effortlessly hung on his lips as he quickly gave a glance my way. I vigorously nodded, hoping he believed my lie, as I hummed, "yep, mhm." He turned back, as he had shifted lanes, I began to fiddle with my fingers anxiously.

"So I take it you're a book worm..?" he trailed off in a questioning tone with a chuckle that came to an erupt stop as I slowly shook my head, making him furrow his eyebrows and ask, "no?" in a very surprised tone, almost as if he didn't believe it.

"No, but I mean I would love to say I'm a book worm, but I'd be lying," I quietly admitted.

"I used to read a lot-," I added but got cut off by my thoughts. But then you just get depressed and can't find the motivation to read anything, which is mostly why I don't read as much anymore. I use to be able to read things that didn't really even interest me, but now it has to intrigue me and make me love, love it, which is what happened with The Sun And Her Flowers, it had just made me want to start reading a lot again. But I have a hard time staying committed to reading the books I almost finish, so then they just stay on my shelf, untouched for a few months.

"But I just have a hard time finding books that interest me, so I don't really read as much as I use to, when I was younger," I admitted, peering down into my lap. I'm an actual idiot, why do I have to sound like that when I say things? Gross, yuck, I could probably puke just listening or even looking at myself.. well actually now thinking off it, I think I have.

I felt his eyes scanning over the side of my face, making me turn to him and ask him, "what?" I was nervous because of what I admitted and how he could be judging me right now. I continued to stare at him, not being able to stop myself from taking a quick peek at his lips. Which when I did, I immediately furrowed my eyebrows, as I watched him pull a small silver ball to the surface with his teeth, as it poked through at the front.

I glanced at the tongue ring that had been pierced right through the middle of his tongue, that I've never noticed before. I winced just thinking of how it must've hurt, since it looked like it hurt. "D-Do.. you have a tongue ring?" My eyes widened, making him turn to me.