Our Long Journey Has Just Begun

Dreamworld...

TEN-YEAR-OLD READER'S POV

I was in my Grandfather's garage and we were going camping again. Grandfather drove the jeep and I smiled brightly because this was so exciting. Grandfather looked at me and he asked me.

"What's with the smile on your face? are you that excited to go camping?"

"I am, it's because I'm going camping with my favourite grandfather!"

Grandfather chuckled and then we got to a campsite. He stopped the jeep and then we got out and I smiled at the landscape. I looked around and we were at the large lake where we saw other fishermen and campers. Grandfather got the camping gear from the trunk and then we got to work on setting up camp.

"Now hold this peg here and then be careful when you're hammering it down, I got a few bruises on my thumbs when I was your age."

"Hehe, okay."

I started to hammer down the peg while avoiding hitting my thumb. Grandfather got some firewood and then he started to start up the fire. Grandfather got two stones together and then he tries to get them to spark but, it wasn't happening. I giggled a little after setting up the tent and I went into my pouch and I got the box of matches with me.

"Good thing I came prepared."

"Where did you get those matches?"

"Grandmother gave them to me, she knew that you were gonna have trouble with the campfire."

"*Chuckles* good point."

Grandfather said before ruffling my hair. After setting up camp, Grandfather got the fishing gear and he then said to me.

"All right, time to go fishing for dinner."

"Yay!"

Grandfather chuckled when he saw my reaction and then we got to the edge of the lake.  We sat by the lake for a few hours trying to catch fish for dinner and eventually I caught my first trout. I smiled proudly and then Grandfather said to me.

"Well done, darling, now all we gotta do is cook it now."

Grandfather and I got back to camp and then we began to make dinner. While the fish was being cooked on a skewer, I looked up and the stars looked beautiful tonight.

"The stars are so beautiful tonight, aren't they Grandfather?"

"They sure are, (Y/n)."

"Do you remember the first time when you brought me out here?"

I asked as I sat next to him and he nodded his head with a smile.

"How can I forget? you kept complaining how bored you were and there was no wifi here, you were moaning the whole time when we were here but, eventually you began to like it."

"Only because I couldn't stand being near my parents, Grandfather, why do they expect so much from me? like getting good grades and hanging out in the 'right' crowd?"

Grandfather thought for a moment and he told me.

"Well, it's because of your father, my idiot son, wanted to have an heir for the business so, he's trying to make sure that he's giving you the life that he never got, your Grandmother and I were poor and we didn't have a fancy house or a lot of money and your father's education wasn't that brilliant either until he met your mother."