~ apr 2 of next year ~

"who's a good little boy! yes you are! yes you are!" i talk to my son, dylan. his birthday was in december, just 6 days before from mine. the doorbell rings.
"stay here, mommy will be right back." i kiss dylan on the forehead and put him in his crib. i head up to the door and open it.
"hi can i help you?" i ask the man standing in front of me.
"im daniel, i wanted to know if you are or knew y/n y/l/n?" daniel says.
"why?" i ask him. he looked familiar, but i couldn't recognize him.
"she told me to not talk to her for a year. it's been a year and i wondered if she still lived in this apartment since i haven't seen her in classes because i was told she transferred. i would really like to get in touch." daniel sighs.
"momma! i'm hungwee!" dylan shouts.
"sure, i don't care if you come in or not. but come in i guess." i let daniel into my apartment.
"sorry about the mess, my son, he's quite the mess maker, aren't you sweetie?" i pick him up and put him in his high chair.
"you have a son?" daniel asks.
"yeah... i'm a single mom too since the father, well he um... i don't know who it is since my past was full of sexual abuse and assault and i hooked up with this one guy when i got drunk at a college party and... too many things i don't wanna go back to. i was in a dark place for 4 months until i realized that i didn't wanna kill an unborn child. it was wrong of me to take someone's life before it even got a chance to live it." i explained.
"i'm so sorry.. y/n, she had a past like that. she wasn't strong, but i knew she had the most amount of strength in her." daniel says. i knew he was talking about me so i tried to stay discreet.
"how old is dylan?" he asks.
"he's turning 1 in december, mommy's baby boy is growing up!" i say. i give dylan his plate of baby food that he can eat and then i sit by daniel.
"so how's your day been?" i ask.
"well it's my birthday today and i wanted to give myself the present of seeing y/n again but guess she's just not gonna show up out of nowhere." he looked sad.
"i'm sure you'll find her." my phone rings.
"you gotta take that?" daniel questions.
"yeah it's my manager. happy birthday" i answered the phone.
"manag-" daniel whispers.
"hello? yes. can we move the date a couple days after the original one? yeah let's try that. because i want everything to be in sync when i release my album. okay thank you! bu-bye." i hang up and smile.
"sorry about that. dylan are you finished darling?" i smile.
"what's your name?" i stopped in my tracks. what do i say? do i say my name is y/n or do i say y/bsf/n?
"ahm, it's..." i look around the room for ideas, "scarlet!! yep scarlet. that's my name hehe." i nervously laugh.
"but mommy you said it was y/n." dylan blurts out.
"oh! well, sweetie, y/n is mommy's... middle name!!" i say nervously.
"y/n? is that you?" daniel asks. i sigh.
"i'm sorry daniel, i didn't wanna say anything because i was scared of what you would think of me and-" daniel hugs me.
"my birthday wish came true..." daniel smiles and tears up.
"you're welcome?" i pat his back awkwardly. he pulls out of the hug.
"so you had the baby?" he asks.
"well it's obvious right? you can see dylan right?" i point to dylan.
"yeah, he looks like you... minus the blue eyes and the smile." daniel says. i laugh.
"yeah..." i smile.
"is it true you don't know the father?" daniel asks.
"i don't like to think about that. there could be so many possibilities i'm ashamed of most of them." i sigh.
"album? manager? i hav so much to ask." daniel gets all giddy inside.
"well i was still depressed, i found my escape through music. at the time, i've heard about why don't we, they're my favorite artist, but i never looked into who they actually were. i did go to a show in LA because at the time i was also looking for a studio. then i met anna and she became my manager. during my depression period, i wrote songs and gained followers. my album is called "mental" since i dealt and still deal with different mental illnesses and disorders." i explain.
"wow. also, i have a sister named anna. she's only the greatest." daniel smiles. she must be his favorite sister.
"i'm so happy that i met you again. i was becoming broken without you." he says
"i have another thing to say..." i pull out a dna test kit.
"you want me to..." daniel asks
"spit in this tube and yeah. dylan slobbers a lot so i'll figure him out later." i explain. i was skeptical that daniel might be dylan's father, but there was only one way to know for sure. daniel nods.
"i understand. i'll do it." he takes a deep breath and spits in the tube. this was bothering me the whole year. i pick up dylan and set him back down in his crib. daniel and i were silent until we said our goodbyes. i sent it off into the mail after i got dylan's saliva too since i already did mine.