Chapter Six

|Tobias|

This is my kind of whether for morning runs. The sky cloudless with the color clear blue. The sun has just risen so the temperature haven't gone up yet.

My black shirt sticks to my body with sweat. The rhythmic sound of my feet hitting the pavement beneath me clears my head.

I check my watch. 7:49. I should be able to get back to my apartment at around 8.

Commuters strolls by, on their way to whatever place they need to be. They glance at me and some are even friendly enough to smile and nod at me, and I nod back. 

My eyes catches a head of blonde hair several yards ahead of me. She seems to be on a morning run as well. I frown. I don't remember ever seeing anyone else that does so before. 

And yet, she seems familiar. A queasy feeling starts at the bottom of my stomach. I shake my head, and when I look up again, the girl is already gone. 

++++++++

I run my hand through my hair that is still slightly wet from the shower I took after the morning run and step into my office in the government building at exactly 9, as I always do. 

Johanna was already there, and she gives me a smile as I walk in. 

After the war six years ago, Johanna was elected as the spokesperson and representative of the city. She is undoubtedly the best person for that, since she has leadership skills and she has been dealing with those type of government ever since she became a representative of Amity. 

Then, she offered me the job as her assistant. At first I declined, because I don't think I'll be fit for a government job, but after Johanna assured me that it's only paperwork and not speaking in public, I accepted. 

"There's some paperwork that needs to be inputted into the system and filed. I already put those on your desk. And I'm going to a meeting on Monday, so please prepare the files. After that, you're basically done."

"Are you sure-" 

"Seriously, Four." Even though everyone now knows my real name, my friends and others still calls me by my Dauntless name and I really appreciate it. "I'm really glad that you're helping me so much but you need to take a break too."

I sigh. We already discussed this topic on several occasions. I already have Sundays off, and I'm happy with that, but Johanna thinks I'm working too hard and wants to shorten my Saturday work hours as well. 

The truth is, I wanted such long work days because it clears my mind and helps me focus on the things that I can do instead of the black void of war and life, and the dreams that occurs that I can't grasp on to once I woke up. But I don't tell her that. I just nod and head into my office. 

I start on my work and try to block out everything else and bury myself in my job. It usually works, but for some reason, the girl with the blonde hair I saw earlier today just wouldn't leave my mind. It doesn't help that my phone keeps pinging with messages that everyone is typing on our group chat. 

Apparently, Zeke has met a new comer that's moving into the city and into one of the apartments in the Hancock Building. She seems nice and they became friends very quickly. 

Then, Zeke told Christina about her and she visited the new resident and they quickly bonded as well. 

Now, Christina invited her out to dinner with Zeke and Shauna. And tomorrow, Sunday, she's going to meet the rest of us and everyone is required to come. 

I don't exactly hate what Zeke calls them the Sunday Gatherings, but sometimes I prefer the quiet of my apartment than the commotion when everyone is together.