Chapter 12

I walk out of the warmth of the colleges library and out into the cold winds of Winterhold.It shouldn't be hard to retrieve the scroll.

///////////////////////changing P.O.V./////

        "Hey Ben did you find anything?"I hear a voice call out.I look over at Ralof who sits hunched over a bar with a glass of wine in his hand."Ralof I think you've had enough"I snatch the glass from him and pour it out onto the floor."it's not a good example for you to drink away your worries.Its cowardly."He looks at me surprised by my response to his state."You know Ben if I didn't know better I remember you drinking after the loss at Felhammer Fort"I hesitate trying to find the best choice of words."well I'm not a Captian responsible for anyone and you are and I don't have to set an example and you do.Its your responsibility."He slowly turns towards me,if looks could kill if be dead a thousand times over."Ben Valentine telling me of my responsibilities?I could have you discharged"

"And I could have you degraded from your position as a captain to the position of the wagon driver"

"Is that a threat?"

"Only if you take it as one"His rancid breathe was overwhelming the scent of sweet rolls and honey nut treats that were freshly baked."so help me if you tell anyone you saw me drinking like this I will put you in front on our next fight.And I'll make sure one if the empires arrows go through your heart.Promise me you won't"He presses his finger at my heart.I shove his hand away and stop before walking outside,I turn to him a grin on my face"I make no such promises"I can't help but laugh as I hear him screaming my name in anger and desperately trying to reach me and the insults come pouring out his mouth.We go to solitude tonight to rest before going all the way back to Windhelm.I wonder where all the guards went.I place my hand on the handle of my steel sword.The blade shining brilliantly as the fire illuminates the Inn.I look around at all the ones who made it out alive.........it's sad how badly we are loosing.And if we loose what will happen to those of us who remain.I remember when I was a child I used to feel safe inside the imperial walls.I lived in Helgen,an imperial village.But one day the imperials captured some Stormcloak soldiers and Ulfric himself.My parents came and told me to go inside the house once the soldiers arrived.There was a woman that caught my eye,her eyes were white and they shone like diamonds.I wondered where she came from.But I turned away from the window when I saw her walking to the chopping block.I hid under my bed,then something happened...........a dragon popped out of nowhere and destroyed the entire village and I saw my parents burn to death.The dragon was black with red eyes.I joined the Stormcloaks to fight the empire.My parents had been spies for the Stormcloaks but died before they could fight against the Imperials.I plan to carry on their legacy.And I will gladly give my life and limb if it means we win this war.An arrow took down many of my comrades and friends.I smiled down at them when they begged for mercy just as my friends had.I remember their faces and their last words"Please don't kill me"

"Be merciful!"

"I'll give you whatever you desire!Gold?!Anything!"

"I have a family!"

"What will my wife do without me?!Please understand you cant kill me!"

        Everyone a different plead a different cry.I show no mercy to them.They should've thought about that before killing my friends then maybe I would've spared them.I feel a hand on my shoulder.I look up and see Gunther starring back at me"It's ok Ben.So you want to come with us to jump off the dragon Bridge into the river?It'll be fun"

"I don't have time to fool around"I say coldly."Come on stop being so serious and uptight.Have some fun for once like you used too.Before this war you were quite the party animal"I roll my eyes and sigh"fine..........but if I get injured in any way I'm blaming you"He scoffs and drags me along with him to the Dragon bridge connecting the two cliff edges.