Chapter 6: Mock Trial

June 5, Wednesday
Trial Cell no. 3, Judiciary Hall, Ivy University
5:15 AM

This was usually abandoned when I first explored the university. But now, it was quite lively and crowded. Actually more crowded than outside.

I decided to find Mia. She was still on the table facing the other table and pretty much none of the students decided to crawl all over the table setup.

"Mia?"

She was shuffling some paper, and yes, her latest knife-smeared-with-poison evidence was present.

"You came." She greeted. "Well, this isn't your typical mock trial, is it?"

I was amazed, actually. I never knew the Judiciary Hall could hide marvels behind large doors. This is like a court if someone would enter, rather than addressing it to an ordinary school.

"I don't know that this is a courtroom."

Mia chuckled a bit. "Then I guess you should start digging things."

"By any chance..." I asked again. "... what would happen if you prove him guilty?"

Mia just smiled as she looked at the other table, quite with a glare.

"You'll see, Phoenix."

I didn't have time to ask one more time as the gavel pounded the wooden stump.

"This court is hearby in session for the trial of Apollo Justice."

"Go on." Mia smirked.

I really don't know if I really helped this case at all. But Mia kept insisting that I did, so I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea if I tag along.

... did she just said that I'll stay on her bench now?!

"What?" Mia asked once more.

"Wait. I-I can't handle being an assistant for this!"

Mia pouted at me. "Tell you what, Phoenix. This is not your time for shutting traps. I need you for confirmation of evidences, not for a freaking waiter in a restaurant."

That was a close call. "Oh."

"So? Coming on your seat?" Mia asked one more time.

"I guess."

"Is the defense ready?"

"Yes, Your Honor." Mia nodded at the Judge.

"The Prosecution is also ready, Your Honor."

I saw Kristoph's brother, Klavier on the other table. Quite tremored and had lots of papers, just like Mia but the difference is that she had actual pieces of evidences.

"Very well. Prosecution, your opening statement please."

I could swear Klavier just glared at us. I just saw that in an instant before he quickly shoved it away.

"The usual story..." Klavier moaned boredly. "... the Art teacher named as Misham was reportedly murdered whilst on his own. The defendant, Apollo Justice, was reportedly last seen with the victim. And I have a witness to assess that account that he did murder the Art teacher in cold blood."

"Indeed. Another loss." The Judge shook his head.

That was like the last straw of everything that I would dare think about something. Apollo looks like he never did murder Mr. Misham. He is a bookkeeper, after all.

"Having doubts already, Wright?" Mia addressed me.

"Huh?"

She tsked. "You really came to the right place to learn some tidbits."

I didn't know that she was close enough for façade reading. "Nevermind. I'm just thinking about my assignments."

"The Prosecution would like to call Kristoph, to the stand." Klavier called. I was surprised that he didn't even flinched from that.

Mia looked damn straight to business as she heard Kristoph's name.

"Its time." She muttered.

Like bloody murder she went and here she was now. Seriously, how many minutes did she spent on this case anyway?

The doors opened up to reveal none other than Kristoph. He walked towards the Witness Stand and was crossing arms and glares at us, especially.

"Hmph." He smirked with venom. "I see you stand by your pathetic side with her. I thought you would be wiser than that, Phoenix."

I really don't know if he's showing his true colors or simply deceiving again. Not after what he could've done to Apollo, I just can't know what horrors he would unleash.

"You look shook up, are you okay?"

Mia was right. Again. She was just reminding me that I chose to pursue the truth, not him.

"I'm fine..."

That was very surely doubtful, but I made up my mind that he would probably silence me after this trial. We have to drop him back at the Prison jar.

"That's the spirit." Mia smiled and looked back at the courtroom center.

"Witness, your name and occupation, if you please." Klavier questioned.

"Kristoph Gavin. A former chemist student, if you prefer."

"Could you tell us what really happened on the last moments Mr. Misham was last seen?"

Kristoph looked below for a while before smiling. "Very well."