Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Levi spluttered his spaghetti all over the table. His siblings complained, but he was too busy being stunned.

"I'm sorry, what?" he asked dumbly. Wallace nodded.

"It is decided. After you turn seventeen, I shall teach you how to clean and prepare the bodies, and teach you everything you need to know. You'll be able to do everything by yourself once I retire," Wallace stated. Levi laughed nervously.

"Dad, I'm flattered, but I don't want it, really. Dead people aren't my thing," he said, and drunk some water.  

Wallace looked confused. "You have no further study options, and by law I must retire in half a year. What's wrong with what I proposed?"

Levi put down his cup. "Dad, as great as your job may be, I'm bad with dead things. Besides, why does it have to be me? You have four other kids as well."

Monica smiled at her dad. "Dad, think about this clearly. Remember, I got my medical licence last November and I work at the clinic, so I'm familiar with corpses. Besides, I need a better job since I don't have the same financial support I had when I was with Tristan, so I'll be happy to help with the business if you need a family member to take over."

Levi gave her silent thanks but to his dismay Wallace refused her offer. "It has to be Levi."

Monica got angry. "Levi is nearly seventeen! Sure he may have no mindset of a possible career pathway right now, but he'll find a way. It's not the end of the world if Levi doesn't take over the business. He's just a kid!"

Wallace stood up. "Levi must learn. After the school year ends and he graduates, he will be my successor."

Levi stood up. "Dad, if it's about my scores, they'll get higher I promise! I'm taking my studying seriously now! I want to go to Uni like Mike and Monica!" he reasoned. 

Monica stood up and touched her father's shoulder. "Dad, he's only a kid."

Wallace shook his daughter off and addressed Levi calmly. "It is a great honour for when a Horwood passes his legacy down to his son. That feeling stays with you for life. I was only your age when I received the honour from my father. And I said yes, because I was proud to keep the legacy going. And as an honourable man you are, you will accept my legacy."

Levi slammed his fist down onto the table. "I don't want to!"

"YOU WILL BE MY SUCCESSOR!" his father yelled. It shocked everyone around the table. Wallace composed himself and sat back down. "That is final."

Levi stormed into his room but before he did, he threw one last remark.

"OVER MY DEAD BODY!" he yelled back and slammed the door.

 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Levi waited for the dial tone to pass. Sure enough, the other end picked up.

"Hola."

"Jonah, it's me."

"Yep, that's what the amazing world of Caller ID is," she said sarcastically. "What's up?"

"You wanna head to a party tonight?" he asked her. She hesitated. 

"Depends on whose."

"I just got a text from Yvonne saying Deacon is having one up town. You in?"

She groaned. "I dunno, I just got into my giraffe onesie..."

He decided to tempt her. "Deacon's hotter older sister, Katie is in uni and she's gonna be there tonight. Oh, and rumour has it that she's 'experimenting' with her sexuality..."