Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Jonah dropped the giant leather book onto the table. Levi looked up at her from his milkshake.

"Did you find something?" he asked.

She grinned and sat down. "This book buddy, you're lucky to have it."

They were at the book/coffee shop in their usual booth. Jonah moved to sit across from him, and opened the book.

"Das Pergament des Nekromanten. It actually has like, nearly all the answers about you."

"Well, that's reassuring," he said. "Anything in there useful in telling me how to stop turning into a soul sucking monster?"

She rolled her eyes. "Bro, it's more like a huge encyclopedia, not a how to book."

Jonah flicked to a page. "Look! It says here that Nekromants are greatly feared in Europe! Who knew?"

"What is a Nekromant anyway?" Levi wondered. Jonah pulled a face.

"Haven't you read it?" she asked. He shrugged.

"Not really..."

She flicked him in the forehead. He moaned as he rubbed the sore spot. "You're useless," she scolded and turned to the previous page. "A Nekromant in English is a Necromancer. They have strong tidings to the death. They, throughout history were known as the bringer of souls, that sort of thing. You know,  they could control souls, raise zombies from the dead?"

Levi leaned back in his seat. "I'm going to make zombies? How the hell is that useful?"

Jonah rolled her eyes. "It's just legend. What it says here however, is that Nekromants have the ability to control different disciplines by absorbing Sterblichen souls. I'm guessing Sterblichen are like normal people..."

"Disciplines? What disciplines?" Levi asked. Jonah flipped through more pages.

"Uh... Oh! Here! It ranges from pyromancy to telepathy. How cool is that?!"

"What...?"

"Pyromancy! You know, fires? C'mon, you play Skyrim," she urged.

"Right, right my bad," Levi apologised. 

"Dude! You can even teleport!" she exclaimed. "How wicked is that?!"

He waved his hand. "Yeah yeah, great."

"Oh."

Levi cocked his head. "What?"

She flipped back and forth. "Um... it's about your buddy inside of you."

Levi leaned forward. "What about it?"

Jonah read out the passage.

The Mähdrescher is the living entity of the Nekromant. It is the protector, the harness of the Nekromant's internal power. However, the Mähdrescher creates an identity of it's own, and without proper training or consultation, the Mähdrescher will relinquish control over the Nekromant's soul. When this happens, this type of Nekromant is given a new name, Árnyékost, in Hungarian as the Shadowed.

Jonah looked up from the page. "If this is right," she pressed her hand to the page. "Do you know what that means?"

Levi nodded grimly. "If I don't learn how to control him, he will take over."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------