Chapter 40: Just One Last Happy Night

Laying my head against his chest, I let him hold me as we swayed softly to the song.

I took in the scent of him, how he smelt so nice all the time.

He smelt like home.

"You smell like home to me too." He said softly before kissing the top of my head.

This moment felt so nice.

I opened my eyes and stared at Delora with Eva, the two eating their cake and laughing sharing kisses between.

Link was there with Kora dancing softly with her as they stared into each other's eyes smiling as they spoke.

Lana was laying with her head on Ben's chest both of them lost in their own thoughts as they swayed.

Lincoln twirled Dayna before pulling her to his chest and kissing her passionately. They shared soft laughs before she stepped on his foot and apologized while laughing.

I felt a smile on my lips before I focused on Emma and Kala who sat with their feet kicked up on the tables downing beers.

Similarly, Vydia and Lucien where drunk at a table with a bottle of Gin between the two of them.

Bronx was with Lucy, singing the lyrics to her and giving her kisses in between.

Faye was talking with Vlad about how unappealing his toxic masculinity was. (That's what I'm guessing because of her look of disgust and gesturing to his being.)

Even jackass Kai was spending the moment dancing with Imira and stepping on her feet every other step.

I smiled at Abe as he leaned into the wall giving me a small nod.

It's been a long road, a journey of loss, of heart ache and an endless game of chase.

Three days.

In three days he'll be here.

Nyx, if you're listening, please let this war end swiftly. Give me the strength to fight to avoid any loss, to- "Ace, enjoy the moment. Come on, you're killing me with all these thoughts here." Michael said smiling down at me.

I smiled up at him and stood on my tiptoes taking his lips and kissing him passionately.

"Please, when this is over, be there beside me, hold me and never let go." I said softly before kissing him again.

Michael kissed my forehead and nodded, "I promise Anne." He said pulling me to his chest and swaying us softly.

Serenity.

Peace.

Contempt.

Then the thought came...simple and small...quiet...

What if you're killed? How will you save them all? How Anne?

I shook the thought away and filled it instead with a knowledge, there's no other alternatives.

Winning is the only answer.

It's the only way.

LINKS POV:

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

Pushing out of bed, I stared down at Kora and then hurried out the room.

My breath was caught in my chest.

I need to breathe.

I can't-

Running down the stairs, I missed a step and fell the rest of the way crashing into the floor and scrambling up as I gripped my chest and yanked the front door open.