~9~

It was the last week of summer. The week it all came crashing down.

Well, that's what Connor believes, at least.

It didn't happen all during the week. It happened on one specific day, actually.

It was Monday at midday. Connor was hanging out with Evan, the two chatting while they played War.  Evan was in the lead, having a much thicker stack of cards in his hand. The only chance Connor had was the few aces he'd won from battles, but worried he'd loose them.

Then Heidi Hansen suddenly entered the house, finally getting some time off some a horrendous night shift.

Heidi blanked for a moment, before putting two and two together. "Evan, is this Connor?"

Connor looked at Heidi, then to Evan, who's face was a scarlet red, traveling from his cheeks and up to his ears. The latter just nodded.

Connor took that as his cue to set his cards down and to stand up, as he awkwardly held out his hand for Heidi to shake. "Yeah er, that's me, Ms. Hansen."

Heidi smiled, "Please Connor, don't call me 'Ms.'. You'll make me feel old. Please, call me Heidi," she laughed.

Connor smiled meekly. He wasn't good at stuff like this, like meeting poeple's parents. He was honestly surprised he was making a good impression so far. "Well.. alright, Heidi."

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything important, I did send Evan a text saying I got off early and wanted to go out to lunch," Heidi raised an eyebrow at Evan, who obviously didn't read said message.

"Well if you want... I can just leave so you guys can go eat," Connor offered awkwardly, shifting from foot to foot.

Heidi shook her head stubbornly. "I can't do that, do you know how rude that'd be? How about you come with us? Evan's told me about your trips to A La Mode and I figured I owe you a few."

Connor flushed a little, "You don't have to..."

"Come on, it's my treat! We only eat junk food," Heidi waved him off.

Connor realized he wasn't going to get out of this, not without an excuse or lying, at least. "Alright, looks like I don't have a choice," he sighed dramatically, but was smiling. He glanced at Evan, who definitely looked mortified at the thought of him, Connor, and his mom eating at a Subway or whatever.

Ironically they did eat at Subway.

Connor made sure to keep his order simple since Heidi insisted on paying for everyone. He settled for a Foot Long Turkey Sandwich while Evan got a Six Inch Chicken Sandwich (was it dumb to be proud of your friend for ordering on their own? Connor couldn't care because he was), which was similar to Heidi's, but they couldn't eat pork so he gave him the benefit of the doubt.

"Thank you, Heidi," Connor said as he sat down at the booth they'd chosen.

Evan quietly thanked her as well, taking a respective seat next to Connor.

"Oh you boys don't have to thank me! It was my pleasure," Heidi hummed, beginning to eat.

While the trio ate, Heidi told Connor embarrassing stories of Evan when he was little, from silly things he did when he was a toddler to dumb things he did when he was around eight. Evan tried to protest, letting out a groan of, "Moooommm...", but had no avail. Connor just laughed at both his reactions and the stories, finding them to mostly be entertaining. Connor saved half of his sandwich for another time.

Heidi then drove them back home, and announced she was going to catch up on some sleep. Connor promised to stay quiet for her.

After she went to bed, Connor turned to Evan. "I wanna show you someplace special," he'd said.