Epilogue

Trigger warning- mentions of suicide attempts

Were first dates always this intimidating? Connor didn't think it should've been, since they were literally just having a picnic in Connor's backyard.

It didn't matter.

What mattered was that they had the whole place to themselves, no adults to meddle around or distract them, and what was best was that they'd be outside in the garden, which hopefully wouldn't make Evan too anxious.

Connor wore a nice, long sleeved light purple shirt over a darker purple flannel, and then his normal, black hoodie was tied around his waist. The jeans he were wearing actually weren't ripped, and were probably one of the nicest pair he had. Distinctly, he wondered what Evan was wearing. He'd find out soon enough, he supposed.

Connor checked his phone for any new texts, but there was only the message from Evan saying he was on his way with his mom (Heidi thought they were just hanging out. Evan wasn't out to her yet).

Ironically enough, she wasn't even mad at Connor for the Orchard incident. She'd told him she knew that he was a good kid, but that his family was broken and things like that usually happened to people who grew up in families like that.

He had just finished making grilled cheese sandwiches for their little picnic. They obviously couldn't have peanut butter because Evan was allergic or ham because he was Jewish. Connor decided to keep them inside, convinced one of the woodland creatures would steal the sandwiches.

Connor went with lemonade for beverages, because everyone likes lemonade, right? And if Evan didn't like it for some reason, he had bottled water just in case.

He stayed near the door, peaking out every few minutes to see if the latter had arrived yet. He didn't know whether to feel excited or nervous, because it wasn't a normal first date, but maybe Evan would appreciate not going out. He hoped he would, and wouldn't find it weird.

Another peak outside the small blinds resulted with Connor spotting Evan at last. He grinned, stepping back to open the door.

Evan was a bit surprised when he saw how fast Connor had opened the door, but smiled never the less. He was wearing a full cherry red sweater with some very nice looking jeans, and tennis shoes. He'd clearly tried to fix his hair and make it look nice, but the natural golden curls persisted and won that fight.

Still, if not absolutely adorable.

"H-hi," Evan had his hands clasped together, as he shifted from foot to foot.

"Hey. Uh, come in," Connor stepped to the side so Evan could walk in.

Evan stepped inside as Connor shut the door behind him. "You... you look nice. Um, n-not saying you don't always look nice! You just look extra nice, especially in flannel! Though I'm not like, saying I don't like your hoodie either! It's nice, and I kinda wanna wear it and why aren't you stopping me?"

"Sorry," Connor chuckled weakly, blushing. "I just love your little rants. They're so... endearing. That's probably annoying to hear, but maybe it'll put your mind at ease for a bit?"

"Oh. Well... thank you," he smiled at him. "Anyways, what's for dinner?"

"Grilled cheese sandwiches, cause I was in a mood for them," Connor handed Evan the plate where the sandwich sat. "Ketchups in the fridge if you want any. I'll pour us some lemonade."

Connor could tell Evan was taking the opportunity to gaze around his house for a bit, probably surprised by the size of it. It was a normal response, because that's how Zoe's friends reacted. However, he heard the fridge open and a ketchup bottle squirt, so he figured he was done with that. After pouring the lemonade into two glasses, he lead Evan outside to the garden where the picnic was.