Chapter 13: The Truth

Faith unpacked the bags once they came home to the apartment while sitting on the couch, relieved to be here again.

"That party was fun." Liam commented. Everyone seemed to agree, still tired from the other night.

"Well, Nate certainly was a big help as well." Faith added. Liam laughed while the others looked at him, confused.

"So while we were all wasted," Harry began, "what happened to you, Faith?"

"Well, I did some work with Nathan, researched stuff in their library, then went to bed," Faith lied.

"Wait, this was after the party, right?" Louis asked. Faith quickly nodded.

"How come I didn't see you go to the library?" Liam asked.

"You were busy with Abby and Louis, so I slipped away to their library. I found out some stuff too." Faith replied.

They all decided to move over to the couch area, ready to hear what she would say.

"So," Zayn started, "what did you find?"

"Well," Faith thought for a moment on how to word it. She didn't want to state anything about Phantom or anything that would put all of them in danger. "you know how we were talking about the Legends of Maple tale?"

They all replied "Yes" in agreement.

"Well, you know how Phantom has been popping up all last week?"

Louis sharply drew in a breath, earning a look from Niall.

"It turns out this isn't the first time Phantom had made an appearance." Faith said.

"Really?" Liam was surprised.

"That's unbelievable!" Harry exclaimed. "If that's the case, then why are people making this guy such a big deal when he came back now?"

"I'm surprised no one had pointed that out yet in the news." Zayn commented. "Or maybe they did, but we didn't bother paying attention in all the articles about him."

"Maybe so," Niall chimed in.

"I haven't seen anything about it yet," Louis said. "I've been reading the news for anything from management....more fights between Larry and Elounor and where we've been and - of course - Phantom, otherwise, there hasn't been anything about the Legends of Maple. I'm surprised too. It's almost as popular as Cinderella."

"The thing is, how do we know that he's really the guy?" Liam suddenly added. "He could be just posing as a storybook character. Nothing more. That tale took place a really long time ago."

"Man, you're right!" Niall reclined on the couch. "This is becoming as mysterious as Sleepy Hollow, in fact!"

Four faces turned to him in surprise.

"Niall, I thought you didn't read anything but-" Harry said before Niall interrupted him.

"To Kill a Mockingbird , I know! My teacher made us watch the movie of Sleepy Hollow  when I was young. Otherwise, I hated being forced to read that book at the time. Obviously, books were terrible at that time." Niall replied. He turned to Faith. "I hated reading and never really read books when I was young. I have a better appreciation for it now, really."

Faith decided not to press the issue.

"Anyway," she continued. "as the story goes, there were 5 legends that ended the world of evil."