{Chapter Twelve}

"Where were you?" Lauren's mother demanded as Lauren finally stumbled home four hours later. 

  Lauren told Joan she would be fine walking by herself since Joan had to get to work. They said goodbye with a quick hug, and Lauren started home. She glanced back at Joan as she got into her van, and she gave a quick honk of the horn as she started down the road. Lauren smiled and waved. Despite her headache she felt peaceful as she walked down the sidewalk. She slipped on the ice, but she stopped herself before she fell. She was wondering if it was ever going to snow when her mother ran out of the house.

 "Where have you been?" Her mother demanded; her eyes red as if she had been crying.

  "I was with friends," Lauren said with surprise. "I left a message-"

  "Fifteen hours ago! I thought something terrible happened to you. You weren't answering your phone, and you said you were hanging out with friends, but none of them knew where you were."

  "I was at Joan's," Lauren said as she passed her mother and started towards the front door. "I lost track of time, and I just slept over there. Didn't you call Wren? She knew where I was."

  "Wren left her phone at home again," said her Mom with clear annoyance. "You know her parents are very concerned about this boy she's dating. They don't think he's a good influence on her."

  "How is he not a good influence?" Lauren asked as they walked into the house. "They barely know him."

  "Ruth says that Hope says he isn't a Christian."

  "Hope doesn't know anything about him except he's friends with Joan, and she has some weird problem with Joan. I wouldn't listen to anything she says right now," Lauren said before she could stop herself.

  "What's going on with you and Hope?" Her mother asked with concern. "You two have been best friends since you were little kids. I can't ever remember you fighting with Hope. She's so sweet and peaceful. I can't see her holding a grudge like that."

  "I don't know what her problem is," Lauren said and shrugged. She chided herself for mentioning Hope. Her mother was famously nosy especially concerning her daughter's friendships, and she was known to even call their parents to sort things out. Fights between the five girls never stayed between them. Even the smallest thing became a multi-family issue.

  "Maybe I should call-"

  "No."

  Lauren turned on her mother as they stood in the kitchen. "I don't want you to call her. Things are fine. These are my friends, and I'll work things out with them. I'm nineteen, Mom. I'm not a little kid, and if I want to stay out all night I will. I called, and I told you I was going to be late. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a little respect as an adult."

  Her mother stared at her. "I really think you should re-think your tone."

  "I'm sorry if I came off harsh," Lauren said; trying to calm down. Her head was aching, and she didn't want her non-fight with Hope to become an issue. "I don't like when you interfere with my friends though, and I'm sorry I made you worry, but as I said I am nineteen-"

  "And you're living under my roof."

  "Yes, and I appreciate it," Lauren said, "but my points still stand."

  Her mother seemed to be thinking as she stood with her arms crossed against her chest; hurt that her concern had been greeted by unfamiliar hostility.