{Chapter Twenty-Eight}

"Hi!"

  Lauren was surprised to see Krishma looking through racks of clothes with Wren and Monroe the next day when she walked in to start her shift at work. The beautiful girl smiled in greeting as Lauren came through the glass doors.

  "Hi," Lauren said as she put her purse down on the counter.

  "I'm Krishma," Krishma said. "Do you remember..?"

  "I remember," Lauren said in what she hoped was a nice way as she avoided the other girl's curious, wide eyes.

  "I guess it's hard to forget someone who dumped coffee all over your shoes!" Krishma laughed.

  "We're helping her pick out some summer things," Monroe said as she riffled through a pile of tank tops. "It's hard because you'd probably look gorgeous in anything."

  "You are so sweet," Krishma said. "Everyone here is so nice. I'm glad I decided to come to school here. I'm from Jersey, and all my stuff is there, but I'm staying here for the spring and summer so I better get some clothes, I thought!"

  Yeah, she should get her own coats too Lauren thought; as she saw Krishma was yet again wearing one of Joan's coats. She went to get a cup of coffee as she listened to Wren and Monroe laughing with Krishma as they looked through the women's section. 

  Lauren glanced at Krishma, and Lauren's stomach turned as she watched Krishma strip off her t-shirt to try on a yellow tank top on right there in the front room. This wasn't a new thing as Monroe and the girls often did the same thing, but Lauren couldn't help but stare now. Krishma was perfect looking. This was Joan's new, very beautiful girlfriend. 

  Lauren tried to put the thought of them having sex out of her head, but it was all she could think of. Did Joan do all the same things to Krishma that she had to Lauren? Did they sleep shirtless under the white, cherry blossom spattered comforter?

  "I'd kill to be that good looking," Monroe said after they had rung up Krishma's purchases, and she left with many thanks and smile.

  "... You are."

  "Not like that. Guys think I'm cute, but you know... I can't imagine going through life looking pretty much perfect."

  Lauren had to agree. "She is stunning."

  "And super nice," Wren said as she leaned over the counter. "She's always over at the house these days. Her and Joan are inseparable."

    Lauren sipped at her coffee as she willed herself not to cry as Wren and Monroe started talking about the youth concert. They were all going, and Jake was going to rent a van so they could all go in the same car.

  "I wish Ruth could go," Wren said, "but she refuses since Alex is going, of course."

  "It feels like our little group has been splintered," Monroe said with sadness in her voice. "I'm sure things will get better over time. Ruth and Alex are both great people, and I know they'll be friends once things cool down."

  Lauren wouldn't bet on that, but she didn't say anything.

   The day of the concert; it looked as if it was going to rain, but the group had decided they were going to go anyway. It was supposed to be nice later in the evening. Lauren didn't really feel like going, but she hadn't spent a lot of time alone with Jake lately so she figured she should. It would seem mean to cancel on him last minute considering how shaken he was after his brother's break up.