22

One direction was not lying about just how fast the night changes. Payton was just watching spongebob last night and now he sat here, finding out he was the one dying. Frozen, he would say to describe the reaction to the diagnosis. No one is never mentally prepared for this news. When the doctor told him he had cancer, he felt his mother grip his hand tighter.

They were both taken back by this. "As we were looking over your biopsy, we identified that your cancer is indeed Acute myeloid leukemia. This means your type of leukemia started in your bone marrow and your bone marrow is your soft inner parts of your bones. Payton's body made too many immature white blood cells. We call this myeloid blasts and they cannot grow into regular white blood cells" The doctor explained to them.

"Payton's cancer is referred to as AML" The doctor paused when he notice Payton's mom wanted to speak. "You said Acute? I'm sorry I would like to know what that means" the doctor nodded at her question. "Acute means that the Leukemia can spread quickly throughout the body ma'am. To his liver, spleen, testicles, brain and spinal cord, or lymph nodes" He informed them.

Payton couldn't believe this was happening. This was what he was afraid of. "We want to put him into treatment as soon as possible. His cancer can be life threatening if not treated quickly. Payton is younger than 60 so we want to treat him in intensive chemotherapy in the next 48 hours. He may need to stay in the hospital up to 3 to 5 weeks" The doctor lectured on about treatment options. He does this all the time, tomorrow he will tell a new person this.

Payton's face was pale as ghost. He wasn't sure why wasn't he crying. The young boy thought he was more devastated than ever. He saw his mother crawl into a great sob. She covered her mouth trying to hold it in. "I need a moment" Her voice was broken. She gave her son a big hug before leaving the room for a cup of water. It was only him and the doctor in the room now. "This may be very an overwhelming for you to both" The doctor stated the obvious.

"Doctor Reed ... I have school and homework to do even though I don't like doing it sometimes. I have friends to be with and skate boarding on the weekends and watching spongebob and you're telling me I can't do those things anymore" Payton expressed himself. The doctor gave him a sad smile, "I'm aware you're only 16 and I wish you could only worry about being 16 but right now we make sure that you beat cancer's ass" The doctor went on. His mother came back in the room, still teary eyed.

"We have programs that you could consider doing while getting treatment. There's many kids who are in the same position as you right now so you are not alone. Ms. Moormeier, I advise you two get some sleep and pack up his things and come back tomorrow because this is will be a long journey" Payton's life was changing.

His mother and him left the hospital and pack his things for the next hard weeks of his life. The young decided he wasn't going to tell anyone because he wanted to deal with this alone. No one deserved to see him at this state. Everyone was caught about Chase so him missing for a couple weeks wouldn't matter. He didn't want to alarm Avani. She shouldn't have to watch him suffer from cancer.

-

It felt like it has been so long since Kevin, Noen, and Avani hung out. The last time Noen saw both really was at the party/homecoming and he really did missed them. He been so caught up in drama that he didn't realized he needed his best friends the most. They were at school early, eating the cafeteria's breakfast food. It was suggested by Kevin because he was the foodie of the group.

He was always devouring food like he never ate before. "Slow down Kev" Noen laughed at his friend who just continued stuffing food. Avani was trying to engage with her friends but she was looking everywhere for Payton. She was kinda paranoid in his absence since he hasn't answered any of her texts last night. "Have you guys seen Peanut this morning?" She questioned them.

"Who's Peanut?" Noen asked genuinely confused with an raised eyebrow, not knowing anyone named Peanut. Kevin shrugged his shoulders, mumbling along in agreement. "Peanut is Payton... oof I have to look for him I see you guys after school" Avani grabbed her bag and left without saying goodbye. "Looks like someone paranoid" Kevin burped after swallowing a whole breakfast burrito.

Noen eyes widen, remembering the tea he had to tell Kevin. "I was talking to Cynthia-" Kevin interrupted him, "Which Cynthia?". Noen glared at him, "What do you mean which Cynthia? There's only one". Kevin's eyebrows furrowed, "No there's actually 6 Cynthia's in this school .. I have classes with 4 of them" he continued. "Are you talking about Cynthia Bailey or Cynthia Smith or Cynthia Jackson or Cynthia Hayes or-" Noen heckled his words.

"Dude Cynthia Parker. The one dating Chase" He rolled his eyes at Kevin. "Oh" Kevin let out. "Anyways... Cynthia Parker is pregnant" Noen spilled the beans. "She's what?" Kevin's face was pale. Noen didn't take notice to his friend's haunted expression. "Yeah she's pregnant.. I know this for sure because i went in restroom before her and there was no pregnancy test then but when came back in.. there was one after she used it" The blonde haired boy explained, taking a sip of his drink.

"I wonder who's the father? It's not Chase because he told me him and her never did it and he's basically virgin mary in male form. Chase did told me his doubts with her and Anthony so what if it's Anthony hm would make sense-" Noen was rambling on. "Noen you can't say a word to this to anyone" Kevin lowered his voice down when people walked behind them.

Noen was confused. "What? Why she kinda deserves to be exposed.. technically she cheated on Chase he should know" Noen felt like he was right. Cynthia was a horrible person in his book. If Chase knew the truth, they would break up. "No you don't understand Noen you really have to keep this to yourself" Kevin's voice was tight. Noen noticed his friend had little sweats glands on his forehead as if he was anxious.

"Kevin why do you care?" Noen questioned sternly, observing his friend's body language. "Because" Kevin blinked. "Because what?" Noen shot back. "You cannot expose her because there is a high chance that I may be the father" Kevin confessed.

-

Author's note