Chapter 4 - Moonlight Avenue

Genie

I'm crazy why does Mike look as scared as I feel?

Genie turns to Allen, giving a small smile though it felt like a grimace. She nods at him as if to reassure herself.

"W-we're good, Al. I just wanted to help Mikey here with his meat." Her eyes widen as she sharply looks to mike and then Allen. Mike clears his throat as he goes to pick up his fallen bike.

"I-I mean, not with his specifically, I mean to deliver the meat. Not his, I wasn't- yeah no, just two pals hangin' out. Yup," Genie stutters out awkwardly, almost forgetting the nightmare she just experienced moments before.

Why are you like this?

"O Kay, well you youngins' best stay out of the alleys alright. Hey, it's summer isn't it? Why don't you go play with your friends." He winks, as he moves to close the door. Genie gives another awkward smile and slowly shuffles out of the alley, walking a small distance away from Mike.

"Yeah, yup...yess. I gotta catch up with my other friends, yup. I'll see ya later Al-igator." Oh gosh, Genie smacks her forehead rather violently, and then jogs out of the alleyway.

"H-hey, wait up!" Mike calls after her. Genie stops to turn to Mike, and scuffs her already ruined shoes along the concrete. Mike goes to say something but she beats him to it.

"Sorry about that whole thing. I didn't mean to follow you, I just wanted to see what you were doing." She says quietly, the previous events know weighing heavily on her shoulders.

"A-and that, that-that thing that we saw. Um did-did you happen to see it too? I just, that was-I don't know what to do."
She's barely able to get out a full sentence trying hard to smile, but she can't seem to forget that terrible terrible fear that she had felt for the first time. Mike tightens his mouth, gulping as he thinks back to ten minutes before, the very real ominous feeling that he was about to die.

"I don't know what that was, I don't even want to fucking think about what that Clown thing was. But I do know that it has something to do with the missing kids." Mike spits out, clenching his hands. He's glad that Allen found them in time, or their faces could've been on another one of those forgotten missing person posters.

Genie looks forward to the opening of the alley, seeing the sun set slowly and the sky turn pink.

What? I could've sworn we've only been here for twenty minutes? Why does it look like four hours have past?

Genie squints her eyes outside gazing at the ever changing sky, before looking into a store window to check the time.

6:47pm

"What the fuck? Mike we gotta get home. It's nearly curfew, and after seeing that Clown fuck, i'm not taking any chances." Genie jogs across the road to grab her bike from the bins, Mike in tow. Newspapers were falling everywhere but she couldn't bring herself to care, she had to get home. Now.

"What? It was 12 o'clock when I left, you're trying to tell me I've been gone for six hours?" Mike asks in disbelief hopping onto his bike as he and Genie ride down the road together.

"I don't know man, but we gotta get home, stat. Don't tell anybody about that thing okay? Whatever it is, it can't be good." She shakes her head, peddling faster as she starts to huff. Mike speeds up as well, as they both turn down another street, Neibolt street.

"I know, if these old folks get word of this they'll freak, and put us into the closest crazy house they can find." Genie nods in agreement, turning her head and catching the sight of the crackhouse on Neibolt street. The wind picks up and she can't figure out if it's cause of her speeding down or the weather. The gates of the run down house creak eerily, she shakes her head as they turn the corner.

"I hate that house, it gives me the creeps." Mike says as they finally move onto the next street. Genies turn is coming up.

"I know, it feels like it's watching me." She answers back. She slows down as she gets to Moonlight Avenue, her stop.

"Hey, I never got your name you know. But you know mine," Mike tells her, as they slow to a stop at the top of the road.

"We all know you, homeschool kid. We all went to the same school in 3rd grade. But for the record, my name's Genie, Genie Valentine." She holds out her hand for a hi-five.

Stupid, it should have been a handshake

He gives her a fiver, then grabs the handles of his bike placing his foot on a pedal.

"Ok, well....I guess I'll see you around Valentine." He gives a nod of his head and then pedals away without turning back.

"Yeah, see you around." She says to empty air and moves to looks down her street. It's considerably darker now. It's past curfew.

A/n:

Hey, I know these chapters were only about Mike and Genie, but don't worry the whole club will form soon :) chapters like these are purely for development of the characters and to give a deeper volume to how close the Losers club really are.

Also because of their age in the movie (11-12 years old) I've decided to age them all up to around 13-14, they'll grow older as the book progresses. (There will be no sexual content, besides making out, until they reach of age guys)

Incase you wanted to know their ages;

Losers:
Genie - 13 (turning 14)
Bill - 13 (turning 14)
Stan - 14
Mike - 14 (turning 15)
Beverly - 14
Ben - 13 (turning 14)
Richie - 14
Eddie - 13 (just turned 13)
They're in 8th grade, and just finished 7th

Bowers;
Henry - 15
Patrick - 15 (turning 16)
Victor - 15
Belch - 16 (held back a grade)
They've just finished 8th grade and are about to go into 9th