† Fallen Angels † (2)

The one thing I absolutely hate is having any sort of attention on me. I tried to avoid it at all costs, but it's imminent when you're the new kid in a small town.

**

As soon as I stepped in the classroom for my first period class, which was Art History-- had I known there was such a class, I would have avoided it, but apparently it did exist and my mother thought learning about Van Gogh and all his fellow artists would help aid in a stronger wisdom at a youthful age, I had about a few seconds to myself before one head turned toward me and then another. I was thankful that the teacher became aware of my presence because then I began to walk over, ignoring the eyes on me. I could have sworn I heard a gasp.

"Alright, class. Settle down," she began in a velvety, raspy voice. It was pleasant to the ears and I liked how my named sounded when she said it. "This is Lament High's new student, her name is Casey." She lowered a pair of thick framed glasses onto the bridge of her nose as she looked up from my file. Her eyes met mine for a moment before the room fell silent. She then glanced to the class. "She is from New York City, raised in Hollywood, California. Let's welcome her to a new year at Lament High. You can go take a seat behind Mr. Woodlock. That would be the column by the window."

I nodded at her as I began to walk toward the empty desk. As I walked in between the rows, I heard murmurs and knew that eyes were following my every step. Was a new kid really something inconceivable around here? As I placed my coffee onto the desk and took a seat, I heard someone say something else about me. "Casey? that name sounds like her mother wanted a boy."

Then I heard a noise coming from behind me, a row over. I turned to find a girl rolling her eyes. "Ignore her," she said, narrowing her eyes at the girl who decided to share her opinion on my name. "You're pretty and people here get pressed if there's a new kid in town that happens to be gorgeous. It causes more attention and people like her get bothered."

I shot her a half smile before turning my attention back toward the front. As I sat there, listening in on an introduction to the period of Cubism, I thought about what the girl had said. Pretty.

I never really viewed myself as a pretty girl. I had always just assumed that I was average. Not that I really thought about my appearance. I looked down at my wavy strands of blonde hair, they were at the bottom tips of my hair, the rest was bruntte; my natural hair color. My eyes were a clear dark brown, mixed with specks of hazel when by the sun. I stood atleast two inches shorter than the average height for my age. Once the teacher, Mrs. Renolds, handed out a book for us to read throughout the rest of the period, I began to hear hushed voices at the head of the room. Keeping my face buried in my book, I peeked my eyes and stared ahead at a girl, a blonde, whispering sharply to the teacher. She seemed baffled. "It's creepy and you know it! I'm going to need the day off. I can't possibly make it through the day with everything weighing down on me." Just then she met my eyes, and I could see the blue color in hers ignite, making room for her widening pupils. I quickly looked down into the blurred words on the pages of the small red book, keeping my ears on the conversation.

"It's ironic. But here's a pass, talk to your counselor to ask permission to take the rest of the day off." Mrs. Renolds voice was hushed. When I looked up, the girl was already gone.

Pretty soon the bell had rung and I had gotten out of my seat. Looking down at the paper in my hand, I noted that the next class I had to go to was Calculus. Great. Just what I needed after Art History.

Once I was out of the classroom, ignoring the stares I was receiving, someone called out to me. "Hey!" The voice came. I turned around to find the girl from class who had defended me walk out of the classroom. She was extremely gorgeous, with fair skin that was sun kissed in the right tone and long red waves cascading down her body. She and I had the same body, those of Aphrodite. She looked like she had stepped out of a Greek mythology book. "I'm Ariana," she said as she reached her hand out toward me, her oak brown eyes glistening under the hallway lights. I nodded as I shook her hand. Just as I did this, more kids caught my eye, and then either gave me a dirty look or walked away quickly as if they were scared. Some even showed quizzical expressions and seemed to be watching me, studying me... "Ignore them. I'm sure you were warned," she sighed, dropping her arms.

"Are new kids rare to your school?" I asked, pulling on the sleeves of my sweater as I held my schedule in the other hand.

She shook her head and slowly her face became puzzled. "You don't know why they're staring?"

I shook my head.

__________

3+ comments?

- Why do YOU think they're staring?