† Fallen Angels † (1O)

Securing my pearl earring, I took a step back to look into the mirror at my reflection, deciding whether or not my outfit for school today was appropriate for the weather. It wasn't necessarily warm out, but it wasn't freezing cold either. I decided that the attire I had own today was good enough. I was wearing a warm colored knit sweater with deer on it with a pair of dark jeggings and brown cowboy boots. A cream colored scarf was wrapped around my neck heavily and my hair was tied up into a bun with cinnamon colored makeup on my face. I only applied light, cinnamon eye makeup and a bronze blush.

Some part of me thought that it was for Nick, because ever since I had spent that day with him in the library and caught him staring at me, I couldn't stop to think that he'd probably be doing that again.

I walked over to the window and stared out, studying the bare trees. A slight shiver ran down my body. I tried to ignore what I thought I had seen at the school, it could have been a classroom light. But then I remembered the night I had a nightmare of me drowning and how I saw a silvery flicker outside of this very window. I scanned the whole view with my eyes and sighed softly. Once I reached for my bag, my mom's voice came from downstairs.

"Come on, we're going to be late!"

I quickly threw the strap of my bag over my shoulder as I headed down the creaking stairs. My mom was drowning leftover milk from a bowl into the sink when the phone rang. She picked it up. "Hello?"

I stood there and waited for her. I tried to focus my attention on something so that she didn't think I was eavesdropping, which I wasn't, until I realized that she was looking at me.

She sighed. "There must be a mistake," she began to speak but stopped to listen to what the person on the other line said. "Yes, she did, to get her book. So what that her ID was found in the hall? That's where most kids I.D.'s fall... okay well I have to get to w-" she sighed again. "Alright, but I'll let you know now that I am furious. Yeah, thanks."

There was a tone of sarcasm in her voice as she said the last words before hanging up the phone. She grabbed the keys and her coffee before nodded toward the door, past me. "Go on, there's just a little misunderstanding. Do you know anything about a prank?"

I nodded my head no, even though I knew. I didn't want to be ratting anybody out. I also realized that my ID was missing, but I could have sworn I had it with me last night.

Once my mom got in the car, she let out a bitter laugh. "There's pumpkins smashed all over the school, inside and out. Except for in one area, where your ID just happened to be. Kids these days, though adults have problems too. Authorial figures are asses."

Mom was being hypocritical at this, but she didn't realize it. She was an authorial figure herself once, being a boss of a huge company. And now she moved out here to a rehabilitation facility, being one of the top psychiatrists there. Well, as far as "top" got in Ravensville.

"They'll be sorry to have dragged me out of work," she said as she got out of the car and shot some kid that rode by on a skateboard a judgmental look.

I walked into the building with her, praying that none of my friends saw. I reached into my bag's pocket to see if my ID card was there, but it was just a socket of air.

I could have sworn I remembered feeling it last night.