five

I can't forget you
even if I erase you

It had been more than five days, which meant my ankle should have healed

However, I hadn't been allowed to get on my feet for most of the day, unless it was to go to the bathroom, and even then I had to be accompanied by someone. Well, generally. Most of the time, they allowed me to have my privacy, which was quite a surprise.

One would think most people in my predicament would be grateful to be in this kind of situation, since it allowed them to be alone. I processed things differently from most people, though—once you had seen a certain amount of people die, it was easier to deal with petty betrayals like this.

Also, it was boring, staring out the same window for most of the day, thinking the same thoughts and worrying about the same old family rivals trying to kill me for something I hadn't even done.

Although I had expected the racers to reveal their plans sooner, but I wasn't really surprised when they made me take the backseat for almost a whole week. Not knowing things was the worst thing I could think of, especially when they were all centered around me. It was one of those things you never got used to, no matter how thick your skin was.

And anyway, I didn't like staying in one place. Not because it was like solitary confinement, but because anyone could visit me, and I wouldn't be able to turn away from them, even if I had no wish to even look at them.

Prime example, Junhee.

He was one of those people who never gave up—too soft and forgiving to be part of an organization which dealt with cold-blooded killing, which was why it had been hard to even suspect him in the first place. At the beginning, he had tried to reason with me, then apologize, then apologize more, but I hadn't responded. If he had been spying on me for the past three years, he should have known me well enough to know that I wasn't going to forgive him that easily.

And yet, he had stayed true to his personality, sitting by my bed every evening for an hour. It had been irritating, but I had grown to control my anger, though it still affected me from time to time. The best way to deal with people like him wasn't to yell at them, it was to ignore them completely.

But when such a vigorous routine it interrupted, you have to let go of your stubbornness. So when Jun didn't show up at my bedside at six p.m., or six thirty, or even seven, my curiosity peaked.

And, because I had been specifically instructed not to, I got up and decided to look into it.

I hadn't left my room in so long that my house felt alien when I finally stepped out of it. No one seemed to be around. They probably thought I was being a good little girl and obeying their wishes, which was laughable—the last time they had told me to stay put, I had ended up leaving the country.

There were only two rooms on the second floor, not including the bathroom. The other room was just across the hallway from mine, and I moved towards it now, after having tested my ankle to make sure it would bear my weight. Its door was open just a crack, and my heartbeat spiked. The situation wasn't exactly life-or-death, but it still gave me a rush, especially as I wasn't in a ranger of being killed.