six

I know nothing is forever
but I still can't let go

I know nothing is foreverbut I still can't let go

"Why four people, though?"

Yeeun shrugged. "Best defense against a possible ambush. Driver, one at the front, one at the back."

I raised an eyebrow. "That's three."

She glanced over at me, then down at her gun. "You're the one we're defending."

I didn't know how to respond to that, so I looked away from her and out of the car window. We were taking a relatively lesser used road, so the surroundings seemed much darker with the absence of headlights stabbing into your eyes at every turn.

The journey was somewhere between long and short, and it was around half an hour after my feeble attempts at conversation that we reached the area the dealer was supposed to be living in. It looked shady, even more so in the dead of the night, but I wasn't complaining. It was enough that they had actually let me accompany them, though I had no idea what role I was supposed to play in their little expedition.

The street we had taken was long and thin like a ribbon, with tall, dilapidated-looking apartment buildings rising from the ground on either side. I wrinkled my nose at the smell of dumpsters and metal as we approached one of them, averting my eyes from a broken street light.

"This is where he lives?" I asked, disbelieving, as we came to a stop in front of a building that was somehow even more rickety and tall than the rest. The few windows it had were dark, except one. I thought I saw a dark figure flicker in the house, but by the time I turned my head, even that light was turned off.

"For now, yes," Ten said, and I turned my attention to him quizzically. He looked back at me, and his serious face transformed into a carefree one when he saw me staring, flashing me a mellow smile. "Information dealers are less safe than your average criminal, unless they've been taken into an organization. A lot of people look for them, so they move around a lot."

That made sense. I nodded, looking away from him to the broken street lamp. It shone unsteadily, the dull orange light blinking out a few more times before it went out, dousing the whole place in darkness.

"Great," I muttered, suspecting it wasn't a coincidence. Not wasting any more time, the four of us made our way up the stairs, and I tried not to think too much about the overwhelming scent of blood emerging from the place.

Yeeun stopped when we reached one of the upper floors, and examined the atmosphere. "Ten and I will go in to talk to him. Chwe, you stay here with Hwang."

Vernon didn't look too happy at that. "I'm the one he'll be expecting to deal with."

"Exactly." The blonde fixed him with one of her deadpan looks. "If we need information out of a sought-after dealer like him, we need tact."