Aloha Oe Pt.2

I sat in my living room staring at my hands

Everything was happening so fast. The autopsy that said he died of brain cancer. Doctors told him months ago that this would happen. He just didn't tell anyone else. He had a tumor the size of a golf ball in his brain. It was too big to remove. He could have done Chemo but he refused and said that God was going to take care of him. All these people walking around my house dressed in black. They think being here is bringing me comfort but it's not. People from the church running around trying to make themselves look good by being here. They never cared about me or my father.

"You hungry mama?" I hear behind me. I turn around and see London. She walks closer and then she sits beside me.

"Mama you got to eat something. I haven't seen you eat in a while. I'm worried about you." She said and I reached out for her hand and I bring it to my lips and kiss it.

"My beautiful baby don't worry. I'm going to check on Kai." I said kissing her forehead and stood up and followed Kai outside. He was sitting on the porch with his head down. I walked over to my baby and sit beside him. He had on shades so I couldn't see his eyes but I know he was crying.

"Do you think Poppa knew I loved him?" He asked and I sighed looking up at the clouds. Something about today felt peaceful to me. I knew it was daddy doing his usual magic of helping us to stay calm.

"Why you say that?" I ask him and he starts breaking down. He wipes his face and takes a deep breath.

"Cau-cause I ain't never say it to him." He sobbed and I scooted closer to him and put my right arm around him. He laid his head on my chest and I put my left hand on his cheek.

"I'd like to think that when you die everything becomes clear to you. There's no more confusion or sadness or pain." I said kissing his forehead. He gets quiet and I rock him side to side.

"You know when I had you he was the first to hold you. When I first brought you home I was new to the mother thing. When you cried you wouldn't shut up unless he held you. You would smile up at him and just look at him like he was a king. And he looked at you the same way until the day he passed. So my answer is yes. He knows you loved him and he loved you too." I say to him while softly rubbing his hair. I know God wouldn't give us more than we can handle but why take my daddy? He was the only one who could love and keep us together. Who can do that now lord? A car drives up and I see Hazel and Franklin walking up. They didn't come to the funeral so then being here catches me off guard. She was holding a pan of macaroni. She handed it to Frank and she reached out and hugged me.

"I'm sooooo sorry Seven. Your daddy was the most honest person I ever met. And I'm sorry we couldn't make it to the funeral. I had a doctors appointment today." She says as we finish our embrace. I look at him and then her and see she has her hand on her belly.

"You're pregnant! Oh my goodness! Congratulations!" I squeal and she shushes me . I cover my mouth and look around making sure no one heard me. She nods but I don't see any excitement in her eyes.