Chapter 10

Prim's POV

"The interviews are starting," mum whispered just loud enough for us to hear. Katniss and I weren't watching tv before, we were thinking. Probably about the same things. The first person to walk onstage was the girl from district one. She was beautiful, too beautiful. I felt jealous for a moment felt pity, then I realised she was a career. She had volunteered for the games. So it's her fault if she dies, not the Capitol. I no loner felt pity, only jealousy, I wish I was that pretty. Most of the interviews blurred past, only a few stood out to me. The girl from 5 reminded me of a fox, I don't know what maybe her hair or her facial features. She even looked sly. The girl from 11 was only 12 like me. Like Arial. Katniss hasn't know Arial before the reaping, I hadn't known her for long either. I mean I knew her, but we weren't friends. We became best friends a few weeks before the reaping, and now she was in the games. It hurt to know I was going to lose someone I love. Gale or Arial. The boy from 11 looked extremely intimidating. The kids from 11 were the only ones who's name I remembered. Rue and Thresh. I know the girl from 1 had a name starting with G. Glitter? I don't know. Next is Arial. She walks out onto the stage in a long, red dress which sparkles around the top and bottom. She looks beautiful. Her black hair flowing out behind her, with a red head piece with a flower on it, I immediately realise what the flower is. A primrose. Katniss squeezed my hand, she knew this was hard for me. We both had a best friend in the games. Out of the corner of our eyes I see mum looking at us. I refuse to look at her, keeping my eyes glued on the tv. Caesar starts to talk to Arial. "So Arial, the chariot parade was quite a show." she smiled at him. I'm surprised she wasn't shy, she was at school. "Yes, my wonderful stylist Cinna chose the outfit," she said still smiling. Her black hair shaped perfectly around her face made her look even prettier than I've ever seen her. "Those flames were something," Caesar agreed.
"I'm wearing them today, would you like to see?" Arial asked. Wearing them? Where? Caesar nodded eagerly. Arial stood up and spun around, the bottom of the dress igniting in flames. the Capitol crowd burst into gasps and a round of applause. She was doing very well to get sponsors. She sat back down and Caesar asked her one more thing, "Arial, whats your motivation to win?" she thought about that for a moment. I wonder what she will say. He parents maybe? "My best friend Prim. I love her so much. We haven't been friends for very long but I trust her with everything," Arial said starting to cry. The bell went, she said goodbye to the audience and walked offstage. They showed her just as she got offstage and Gale was there making sure she was alright. Maybe they would be allies? Maybe Gale will try to make one of them win? I hope so. "Last but not least, Gale Hawthorne!" Caesar yelled. He walked onstage, brown pants and white shirt. He sat down and Caesar started to talk. "Gale, question, is there a lucky lady back home?" he asked excitedly. Katniss wasn't moving, not even a little. Gale sat there for only a short moment, then he spoke. "Sort of," he admitted. "But I don't know if she feels the same way."
"Didn't she tell you?" Caesar asked, confused. "She didn't get the chance. She visited me in the justice building before I left, I told her before the peacekeeper took her out," Gale said emotionlessly. The Capitol audience all awed. If it wasn't for there stupid games this wouldn't be happening. I felt shocked at what I just thought, I wasn't usually like this, what is happening? "So you want to say something to this girl before you leave the stage?" Caesar asked, hoping he would say yes. Gale nodded.
"Katniss, I love you and I will try my hardest to get home for you. And for Rory, Posy and mum, I love you all too." Then the bell went and Gale left the stage. After that everything happened so quickly. Rory flicked of te tv in rage. "Stupid games!" he yelled throwing the remote at the ground and storming off. There mum burst into tears, Posy was crying too. and Katniss, Katniss looked dead. Her eyes were open but no emotion was showed on her face. She got up and ran out the front door, I followed her, if check on Rory after. I chased Katniss, close enough that I wouldn't lose her, but not too close that she would know I was following her. She ran towards the fence that boarded district twelve, ducked under it and finally stopped running, now she was walking. I was glad cause I was getting very tired. I held my breath, ducked under the fence and followed her from a distance. I defiantly couldn't lose her now, I've never been in the forest before and I could get lost. Finally we made it to a open area, a meadow maybe and she sat on the hill and started crying. I walked over to her, carful not to scare her I spoke, "Katniss, it's me." She jumped in fright despite my attempt not to scare her. "Prim what are you doing here?" she asked, surprised at something. "I'm here to talk," I smiled.