Family

"She chose her own path, Shikamaru," Ino reminded her friend as they ran side by side in formation. The war had been raging for some time now and the entire shinobi world was intent on stopping the ten tails from destroying humanity, but, even with Naruto and his nine tails chakra, it was proving to be impossible. However, even with all of this going on, Shikamaru was still sidetracked by Sakaria. "Besides, I'm sure wherever she is, she's fine... unless that white haired freak she was with shredded her up." She mumbled the last part to herself, hoping her partner couldn't hear. In truth, Ino was more than angry at Sakaria after they had spent time and manpower going to get her and she not only refused to come home, but attacked her team.

"It's not that," Shikamaru rasped, rolling his eyes. He wanted to continue, but he couldn't find the words. "I just want to get this over with, okay?" Ino lowered her brow in concern, but turned back toward the direction they were running.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"It's going to be fine," Shikamaru said, rubbing the back of his neck with his right hand and smiling at the raven haired girl in front of him while she frantically combed her freshly curled hair over her shoulders.

"What if they don't like me..." Sakaria muttered looking at her feet. "I mean, no one else in the village really-"

"My parents aren't like that... especially not my dad," the man continued, still smiling sweetly. Since Sakaria's apartment was under renovation due to a busted pipe, Shikamaru had offered for her to stay with him at his parents' home. This would be the first time Sakaria had stayed there without sneaking out before his parents knew she was there and the first time Sakaria would actually meet his mother and father face to face. "Besides, it's either this, or you go without a shower for the next week."

Sakaria sighed and hung her head, her stomach turning. "I'm not exactly the greatest with parents," she added, standing and biting the edge of her thumb nail. "I didn't even really impress my parents before they..." She stopped herself and sighed, dissociating from her current situation as she thought back on her own mom and dad.

"Hey," Shikamaru's voice brought her back instantaneously, and she snapped her eyes over to meet his. He walked up to her and put his reassuring hand on her shoulder in the same way he always had. "You worry too much." His companion straightened herself and trailed slightly behind Shikamaru.

"Mom, Dad!" Shikamaru called, heading inside and kicking off his shoes while Sakaria did the same. "I'm back!"

"Did you bring that girl with you?" A harsh voice called from the kitchen. Sakaria swallowed hard and looked up at the Nara boy, unmoving from the doorway. Shikamaru shook his head and grabbed her hand, heading into the kitchen.

"She's not 'some girl,' ma," Shikamaru sighed, turning into the doorframe of the kitchen, Sakaria still standing shakily behind him. "She's got a name."

"Well?" His mother turned, eying her son with her dark brown eyes.

"Sakaria," Shikaku, Shikamaru's father chimed in, "We've heard so much about you." He set his newspaper down on the table in front of him, and smiled warmly at the small Uchiha girl hidden behind his son. The look reminded Sakaria of the time she and Sasuke tried to coax a frightened kitten from a drain pipe when they were younger, and the result was the same. She nervously stepped from behind Shikamaru and bowed slightly, her pale arms crossed in front of her.

"G-Good things, I hope," Sakaria stammered, "It's nice to meet you, sir..." She bowed reluctantly toward the matron in the room, "ma'am."

"All good things," the clan head reassured, taking a sip of his tea.