Chapter 9- The Letters

So I've had this idea for a long time but I always forget to add it to a chapter. Now it's getting its own chapter.
TW- mention of suicide
A/N Rich is still in the hospital but is being released the next day
- 3rd person POV -
Rich and Michael sat in the hospital room and chatted. They were debating if Super Smash Bros or if Mario Kart was better. After a good ten minutes they came to the decision that both games are great for different audiences. Before Michael had to leave, he wanted to show Rich something.

"Oh Rich I almost forgot." Michael reached into his bag and grabbed a bunch of envelopes and letters. "When I was getting you your math notebook I found these letters in your bag. Are these the get well cards that decorated your locker?" Rich took one of the cards from him to examine it. "Yeah they are. I've been meaning to read these but I never got around to it." Michael checked the time. "Well I still have about 25 minutes before I have to leave so..."
"You know what yeah let's do it."

There were 7 cards they had to read, one from Chloe, Brooke, Jenna, Christine, Jeremy, Jake, and Dustin (before he turned jerk). Chloe and Jenna's were pretty generic and said something like: 'I hope you get well soon... miss you'. Christine and Jeremy's has a little more personality and said something like: 'Dear Rich, Feel better soon! I'm glad you're ok and if you ever need someone I'm here for support.' More so Christine for that one. Jake and Dustin's were like: 'feel better bro' and Brooke's was sweet. 'To Richie, I know everyone is saying you're crazy right now but everyone has their downs. I miss you so much and I can't wait to be able to hang out with the real you again!💜😊'.

Michael was getting ready to leave when Rich realized something. "Was that all of the cards? I remember there being an even number." Michael hesitantly reached into his bag once more, and pulled out a red envelope. Rich took it from him and opened it. It was from Michael.
Dear Rich,
So this is probably weird because we're not even friends and you probably know me as like 'antisocial headphones kid' or something but I needed to say something. I think all the crap everyone says about you is bogus. They weren't with you, they don't know your perspective of the story. They only do stuff for their ego, no matter the cost... even if it's someone's LIFE. Sorry I'm rambling in a written card wow. Heh. heh. Anyway Rich I hope you feel better and hope you find the right people for you.
                    Love,
                               Michael~antisocial headphones kid
Rich read over the card. "Even when we weren't friends and I treated you like crap, you took my side? Thank you." Michael hugged him. "Of course! You're not the only one who was under stress that night. I had a panic attack and hid in the bathroom after Jeremy ditched me. I only left after I smelt smoke." Rich took Michael's hand. "Really? Why didn't you tell me Michael I'm so sorry." "Why, what are you sorry for?" Michael squeezed Rich's hand. "Because you could have been trapped in there! I wasn't thinking about everyone else at the party, I only thought of my misery." Rich didn't feel like crying yet a tear escaped his eye. Michael hugged him once more. "Look Richie, none of it was your fault. And, hey, remember, don't dwell on the past." Over a loudspeaker a message is announced. Visiting hours are over. "Alright I better go. Love you!" Michael grabbed his bag and started towards the door. "Hey wait. Can I hold on to your card?" Michael walked back and handed Rich the card. "Of course." With that Michael left rich to read his card. Over and over. Someone had his back no matter what.
I apologize for how long this chapter took. I've been super busy lately and I forgot my ideas for the chapter and had to kind of wing it. Anyway I hope you enjoy this chapter. The story will be ending soon bc I have a really good idea for another book.
- Katie