STAR WARS: The Last Jedi (Part 5 of 8)

(The sun rises on Ahch-To)

As Rey and Chewbacca walk down the path towards the Falcon they spot Luke sitting cross-legged meditating on a log near the loading ramp. Rey hands her bag to Chewbacca as she tells him. "I'll join you in a moment."

Chewbacca nods as he growls in compliance. He walks up the loading ramp and into the Falcon.

Rey walks over to Luke as she frustratingly asks. "Why are you here?"

Luke continues to meditate in silence.

Rey rolls her eyes in annoyance as she glances at the Falcon and back to Luke. "Well if you're here to make sure we're leaving..."

Luke opens his eyes as he slowly exhales. "There is no ignorance, there is knowledge."

Rey stares at Luke puzzled.

Luke smiles as he softly says. "I can see you're confused."

Rey scowls at Luke. "You would be as well if someone waited all night to insult you."

Luke stares at Rey confused as he rubs his chin. "Well, I can see how that could be considered an insult taken out of context."

Rey glares at Luke and gives him a nod. "I'm glad we can agree on something." She turns to walk towards the Falcon.

Luke raises his hand as he yells to Rey. "Wait!"

Rey stops and turns towards Luke. "What?"

Luke sighs. "What I'm trying to say is that...I'm sorry."

Rey stares at Luke.

Luke softly speaks. "I'm sorry for the way I've treated you since you arrived." He sighs. "My reasons for doing so was to dissuade you from wanting to walk the same path that I had. You remind me a lot of my younger self." He pauses for a moment as he looks over the horizon. "So full of hope and wonder." He smiles and turns his gaze to Rey. "You lack the thirst for adventure and excitement that I had." He glares at Rey. "Unlike me, your focus is on the past never on where you are or what you are doing. I gazed at the horizon looking away to the future. A Jedi crazes, not these things. A lesson I learned a long time ago and one I had to recently relearn." He smiles at Rey.

Rey stares at Luke and smiles with excitement. "Does this mean you'll train me to be a Jedi?"

Luke smiles as he scoffs at her words. "No. I have taken an oath to never train another in the Jedi arts." He sighs. "When I die the Jedi and all they were dies with me."

Rey stares at Luke puzzled. "So what then?"

Luke smiles. "There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. It is a line within the Jedi Code. I had forgotten the wisdom in those words." He sighs. "Failure is the greatest teacher. Failure shows us our flaws in more ways than one. It shows us that we are tenuous beings that are capable of self-improvement. My New Jedi Order failed because I wasn't ready to be their teacher. I was ill-equipped and unprepared to train students such as them, Ben included. I had made a promise to pass on what I had learned, however, I also made a promise to never train another Jedi again after what happened with Ben." He stares at Rey for a moment. "So how can I take care of this dilemma?"

Rey's eyes dart back and forth as she contorts her face puzzled at Luke's words. "It would seem that you would have to break one of your vows in order to do so."

Luke smiles as he nods. "It would seem so. On the other hand, I can adhere to both oaths."

Rey stares at Luke puzzled.