fifteen

ethan and i watched as the fireworks exploded above brooklyn bay. the entire town was watching despite some people not being here. and just for a split moment, our people were at peace.

the firework show lasted for around twenty minutes before mrs miller called everyone inside for the formal dinner she prepared.

she was the last to enter the building for she was at the very front of the show. i take in that she noticed the amount of people gathering around the big glass box filled with money in it.

but when mrs miller pushed her way through to find what everyone was looking at and murmuring about, she found that the box was completely empty without a trace.

i gasped, shocked that all the money had disappeared. the entire town was here. who could've stolen it while the firework show was happening? i glance at the ceiling, noticing that no camera points at the money.

"it was the south siders!" mrs miller shouts, pointing at them. she looked heartbroken. "this was charity money for the ocean! our ocean! how heartless of you!"

immediately the south siders stood up to defend themselves. many adults shouting that she doesn't know what she's talking about. that they aren't monsters and would never do something like this. they shout that they were set up, that she can't blame them without evidence.

i look over at ethan to see his reaction. he looked angry. i don't blame him, i would be too. he watches intensely how everything plays out.

i speed my way over to mrs miller who's crying her eyes out, suddenly becoming sensitive that half the town was angry with her for accusing them. "mrs miller. don't you think it could've easily been a north sider who stole the money?"

"no way a north sider would steal money they already have! meaning a south sider, who's poor, obviously stole it, probably for college or a new car. like your buddy ethan here." clayton buds in.

clayton gives ethan a hard glare, all eyes on them. ethan shakes his head. "you don't know me."

"oh yeah? then where were you during the firework show?" clayton taunts us. the whole town watches with suspense, so curious as to what ethan has to say next. instead, he keeps quiet. too long for me to handle and it makes him look more guilty with every passing moment.

"he was with me." i receive a loud gasp from the north siders, surprised that i was with him during the firework show.

ethan looks over at me surprised as well. like he didn't want the north siders knowing that one of their own was hanging around someone like him.

i recall telling him once upon a time that i would be too scared to face falling for a south sider. he was keeping my secret, and for that i am grateful. but hiding is foolish and i won't be that girl anymore.

clayton gives me that look. a mix of confusion and jealously. he was angry and he knew that whatever ethan was doing to wrap me around his finger was working. and that only made him rage more.

clayton chuckles. something in his eyes tell me that he noticed something in ethan at that moment too. "you know she'll never fall for a dirty south sider like you."

ethan doesn't show a reaction, but i know deep inside he was bothered. the entire town watched silently with additional whispering, almost like this was a show. they were entertained and it kind of disgusted me. i could tell they were waiting for something to actually happen before stopping this.

"i was her first. her first kiss, her first boyfriend. i even took that skanks virginity."

"clayton!" his mother scolds, disappointment running through her body.

he completely ignores his mom, continuing. "you can never top that. you don't have anything."

it all happened to fast when ethan tackles clayton to the ground. everyone gasps, couple people scream.

i hear clayton's father bud in, yelling at the boys to stop. i see them fighting for dominance, throwing punches left and right.

clayton's friends attempt to pull them apart, as well as ethan's. but in the eyes of the millers, this was just a fight between north siders and south siders. and now the boys who're trying to pull them apart look like they're trying to get involved.

i stand there shocked, watching as ethan would repeatedly punch clayton in the stomach. clayton elbows ethan in the face before finally they're pulled apart.

i see sonny trying to calm ethan down with words, but ethan shrugs him off and immediately leaves the building. sonny runs after him while clayton is surrounded by all the north siders.

the fight ended with all the north siders checking up on clayton to see if he was okay. and all ethan had to comfort him was himself.

though sonny ran after him, ethan is stubborn and will never let sonny get the chance to talk after that fight.

for the rest of the night, i didn't see him. i couldn't call him, couldn't text him. what was i supposed to say? thank you for beating up clayton?

clayton says things he doesn't mean a lot. not that i support it, but he only says those things to irk people. i should've defended myself, but i couldn't muster the courage.

senior year is supposed to be about courage and change but i couldn't even do it.

when we came home, my parents gave me a long lecture about the south siders. especially my mom. claiming that she was only doing what was best for me, but i know she didn't care as long as i was with clayton.

my mom went to bed angry and upset. it was just me and my dad left awake.

he sighed, sitting back on the couch. "after what happened tonight... i don't know why she would still consider clayton to be a good husband." he says. "despite having the money, he won't treat you right."

i stayed silent, staring down at the fingers laying on my lap.

"is it true?" he asks.

i look up, confused. "is what true?"

"you like this south sider?" he asks in a soft tone.

i don't answer him. but we all know that silence is the strongest answer ever.

"i just want for you to be happy, devon." he explains. "no matter who you chose to love."

END OF CHAPTER FIFTEEN

awww