forty three

ethan's pov

with each hour passing, the dance felt like it was endless in a time like this. we had all spent so long dancing together. it felt like we were partying in our own nightclub. brooklyn bay truly knows how to throw a school dance.

pretty soon, the brooklyn bay nominees for winter formal king and queen are called up on stage. of course, devon was pulled up. as well as maya and clayton and a few other north siders.

south siders were never nominated. it's just simply because we get no votes.

as devon stood up there, a part of me felt nervous. if she won, would she have to dance with a different dude?

she wore her small tiara given to the queen nominees and smiled to the crowd. i notice her smile at clayton as well but i shrugged it off.

she stood close to maya, holding her hand. maya looked nervous. i could tell she wanted that crown like it was all she needed in life.

"and your winter formal king and queen of 2020 are...." our principal announces. i spot melanie crossing her fingers as she bit her lip nervously.

"clayton miller and devon wu!" the crowd shouts with joy, knowing that the north sider power couple had just won. what else would you expect, though?

i clapped along with everyone. devon had a surprised face as people placed a different crown on her head. she laughed, thanking them. and even though everyone was watching her, she couldn't take her eyes off of me.

clayton grinned as he went to hug devon, pulling her out of her gaze. she squeezed him tightly, telling him congratulations through his ear.

maya smiled, congratulating devon too. though she has wanted that crown so badly, i could tell she was proud of her best friend regardless.

as the slow song plays, clayton and devon dance together. devon smiles ear to ear, looking so happy with clayton. nothing like i'd ever seen.

they talk about stuff; stuff only they'd be able to hear. she laughs, shaking her head and averting her gaze. he smiles, looking at her adoringly.

as i watched them dance, many people couldn't help but watch me knowing devon and i were an item. for some reason, it bothered other people with how okay i was looking seeing devon dancing with her ex.

"maybe she's forgiven him for everything he'd done?" melanie shrugs, standing beside me. i guess she noticed how devon was too. it's not every day you'd see devon like this with clayton.

raymond scoffs, laughing. "yeah, or she likes him again."

i shake my head. "no, she's not like that." i say, defending her. i really hope she's not like that.

LEMONADE

devon comes up to me, sighing as she smiled. "are you having fun?" she asks, taking a drink from the table behind me. she sips her drink, never taking her eyes off me.

i simply nod, a small smile on my face. "that's good to hear." she chuckles. she looks across the room to her right, squinting her eyes. confused, i follow her gaze.

clayton and sonny are in the corner of the venue, an almost deserted area of the place.

looking back at devon again, i notice she's watching close. almost like she's expecting something to happen.

"what's going on?" i ask, curiously. a small part of me was worried she was looking at clayton. and it's all because of what raymond had said earlier.