Chapter 23

Natasha was allocated private apartments (vacant and already reserved for her) a few stories below Steve's.

And the Avengers were whole again.

As for Steve, he felt whole again as well to some extent, now that one piece of his mind was no longer wandering off along with Natasha. It found peace after she had returned.

As per usual, she was very secretive on her whereabouts and as badly as he wished she could have confided in him, he was too pleased to have her back to sulk over her quietness. But she did drop some locations. One mostly, London. His only attempt at getting answers was dodged craftily.

"How was London?" he asked her one morning as they were in the elevator.

"Rainy," she smirked.

The doors opened and she stepped out.

The men were all sitting on the leather couches, having small talks.

"Did I tell you Pepper received a nomination for 'most successful businessman of the year'?" Tony said, then smirked smugly. "And yes, I said businessman. The gender was just a detail for Pepper."

"Oh I wouldn't know about that," Thor answered with a cockier smirk than Stark's, standing in the middle room as if to make an official announcement. "I've been too busy rejoicing for Jane's Prize. You may not know, but she was rewarded for her brilliant essay on Molecular Energy Transfer."

Tony rolled his eyes. But soon he and Thor turned to look at the only other teammate in a relationship, Bucky, who was gobbling a handful of peanuts. He looked up at them.

"What?" he shrugged carelessly. He wiped his hands noisily then stood up, too. "Maria could kill them both using just two fingers while typing the strategic action plan she's designed for the next mission with her other hand."

He wiggled his eyebrows contently. Thor and Stark stared at each other. Clint watched the whole interaction with an amused and slightly mocking smirk then sipped his coffee.

"There's...a sick logic in what you just said," Tony eventually spoke, rubbing the back of his neck. Thor didn't say a word but a subtle nod of the head was enough to express he thought likewise. The two men sat back down, completely mute. Bucky never looked so proud than at this moment.

He chuckled. "She wouldn't do it by the way," he eventually said in a reassuring way as if that needed to be said out loud. And, heading to the kitchen to grab a snack, he paused, squinted his eyes and added with a grave voice and a mischievous look. "Or would she?"

Steve and Natasha snorted quietly while James was spinning his finger around in a dramatic, slow-motion close to his temple as a thought for the two Avengers to mull over then walked over to them.

"Tasha," he began after he walked up to them. "When are you going to admit you came back because you missed me too damn much?"

She smirked. "Not gonna lie. I missed the sheer feeling of satisfaction I have every time I put you back to your place."

Bucky cocked his eyebrow at her. "That's how it always begins. Maria gave me hell for months before falling for my charm and it was all the fun in it. Just give in, already."

"Maria has always been more...," Nat paused, feigning to choose her next world carefully, "....magnanimous than me. A trait I have learned to appreciate now more than ever since you've been dating. Besides, you couldn't handle me."

She smirked and he smiled back. He shook his head slightly. "It's great to have you back," he said quietly.

Stark's phone beeped.