Chapter 22

It had been weeks since Natasha had left and time seemed to go as slow as ever. Since S.H.I.E.L.D. had gone, Steve was pretty much living the life of a retired soldier. Tony Stark had sent him a couple of emails but he hadn't be bothered to read them yet.

He and Bucky spent most of their days together when he wasn't with Maria.

"So," Bucky said one day, slumping into the couch next to him. "Can I resume poking fun at you or are you still grieving?"

Steve rolled his eyes. He cocked an eyebrow at him. "Did you even stop?"

Bucky smirked cheekily.

"She'll come back," he said with an assertive tone.

"Natalie also said she'd come back, and look now," he retorted.

Bucky shook his head. "Maybe she did," he said simply. His look turned more serious. "Maybe she came back and you were the one who was gone. You can't keep holding a grudge on her for breaking a promise she might have kept."

Steve frowned. He realized it was a possibility he had never considered. "What are you saying?"

"All I'm saying is that it's not always all black or white. Let alone when you don't have a clear picture."

They looked at each other silently. Bucky cleared his throat and brushed his upper lip with the back of his thumb.

"And If I remember well," he went on. "That's exactly made you like her in the first place –the unclearness."

He snorted at Steve's reaction face.

"Don't give me that look, Steve. I know that behind all that self-righteousness of yours there is also a reckless transgressor, who antagonizes his superiors and jumps off sixty-story buildings, planes, and other helicarriers any chance he gets."

"The last one was involuntary."

"Still proves my point," Bucky brushed it off quickly. "Obviously you would fall for an unconventional, mysterious and with a slight taste for danger woman. That's how you like 'em."

Bucky cocked his eyebrow and smirked, smug and yet seeming to suggest he implied much more.

Steve scowled and huffed.

"I don't see why I keep having these conversations with you. You're a terrible counselor."

"I think the word you meant to use is 'terrific'," he brushed his knee, pretending to take a bobble off his jeans. "Besides, this is your reaction every time I am spot on."

"Not sure about that. It happens so rarely."

Bucky reached over and patted his shoulder. "She'll come back," he spoke assuredly. His hand squeezed him then he got up. "And now, read your emails. They may be worth checking out."

"You mean Tony's emails?" Steve frowned. "You got one, too?"

Bucky nodded. "I've been waiting for you before making a decision."

"What decision?" He raised an eyebrow.

Bucky winked then left the room.

Tony's tone in the emails had progressively shifted. The oldest one from three weeks ago was cordial, although filled with sarcasm, while the newest one from days before had no other purpose than to convey his frustration.

Hello, 1944!! –this is a desperate attempt to make contact from the future, the email title read. Steve rolled his eyes.

Dear veteran Rogers,