T W E N T Y S I X

I crossed the street, walking down two blocks before arriving at the flower shop that I worked at full-time for really nice pay. I hadn't resumed school, against ma's wishes and in support of the financial situation of my ma and I. The older woman who owned it was very nice about it too seeing that I was the one worker she had. The bell chimed as I walked in and saw the front empty.

"Mrs. Matten? You in here?" I called out into the quiet shop. I heard rustling in the back and walked back, knowing that she was probably doing some heavy lifting despite my grievances against it.

"I'm out back, dear!" I came around the corner and saw her trying to lift a decent-sized box, most likely filled to the brim with tools and flower arrangement paraphernalia. 

"I told you not to carry such heavy things. they're bad for your back." I gently moved her from it and grabbed it myself, a small grunt pushing past my lips. "Where would you like this, Mrs. Matten?"

She pointed towards one of our organizer shelves and I walked over, placing down the box before cutting it open and beginning work.

"You know dear, I do believe that we'll have another shipment of flowers coming in soon. It's for a special order due for today."

"Alright, then. I'll keep a look out for anyone around back."

After finishing the restocking of the shelves, she had me out and around back to see if the new flowers had come in. I took a peek at the order, a bouquet of pink roses, camellias, and white carnations.

Wow, whoever is getting these flowers must be so appreciated. It's a shame I can't feel the same way.

The flowers came in about a half hour later. Mrs. Matten just had me hold the bouquet while she cut the stems and arranged them into the final product. It was a finished product so beautiful, I almost envied it.

The doorbell rang and I quickly got to the counter I manned while Mrs. Matten made flower arrangements.

A cute guy with light brown-reddish hair and clear, hazel eyes walked into the shop and up to the counter. He didn't look like the stereotypical men who walked into the shop, asking for a basic premade bouquet for their wives and girlfriends. He looked bashful at best behind that lithe figure.

Before I could stare at him any longer, he let out a cough. Successfully breaking the awkward silence, i cleared my throat, put on my customer smile, and mentally smacked myself for being unprofessional and making him uncomfortable.

"How can I help you?"

"I'm here to pick up an order. It's the pink roses, camellias, and white carnations?" He was soft-spoken and I couldn't help but want to pinch his pale cheeks for that. they looked like they would blush powder pink at the slightest sign of embarrassment.

"I'll get it right now." I walked to the back where Mrs. Matten was already holding the bouquet for me. I grabbed it and gave her a quick word of thanks before returning to the counter.

"Name, please?" I hovered my hand over the register, ready to tap in the order and ring him up.

What I didn't expect was the name that I received.

"Matthias Fitzmond."