Game night

They freeze. Can's hand on her waist, Sanem's hand on his bicep. The moment they realize they are touching they pull their hands away from each other, like they were hit by an electric shock wave simultaneously. Can places his hands behind his back, tangling them. He can see the gears in her head spinning, trying to find the right response to what her mother just told them.

"What are you talking about mum? Who's dating who?" she's freaked out, you can tell it by the tone of her voice.

"You and Can, my dear child. I haven't seen you smile so bright to someone. Not even to the one who was supposed to be your future husband. It's the smile you had on your face when we brought home your first cat. And you were ten." Mevkibe says sweetly.

"Husband? As in you were going to marry for real that punk?" he says in shock.

"Can, now it's not the time. Yes he proposed and I said yes, but as I mentioned before that's all in the past." She turns to her mother "You really had to bring him up right now?"

"I just assumed that you had told him honey..." her mother says apologetically "I'm sorry if I overstepped."

"Well not all the details obviously! Anyway, the past is in the past..." she says defeated.

"Now that we established that you two are in love, can we eat? I made all your favorites son. When was the last time you ate traditional homemade food?" she takes Can by his arm to lead him to the kitchen "Very long time, not even my mother used to make us that kind of food..."

Sanem closes the door and follows them, stunned from the turn of events. Everything went fine, lunch was amazing, and her mum didn't bring up the whole relationship thing. Like she was ok that she got the confirmation she needed and now she can move on. She leaves them alone after they are done to make some coffee.

"What just happened? I mean now she knows, right?" Sanem said.

"I guess... and I also guess she's fine with that. More than fine..."

His phone rings as Mevkibe brings in their coffees.

"Yes coach. What? Why? When? Ok I'll be there as soon as possible." He turns to them "I have to go, the union moved the day of our match. We only have two days to get ready." He kissed Mevkibe's hand as Sanem's phone rings as well. "Everything was amazing, thank you so much, but I have to go"

"Yeah I'm coming. Can I'm going with you, just let me get my things."

"Okay I'll wait you in the car." He kissed her more out of habit, without realizing it and closes the door behind him, leaving Sanem with her mother who was smirking with satisfaction.

* * * * * *

They spent the rest of the day separated. Sanem is with her team practicing their new routine and Can is with his trying new tactics, new systems. They return to their homes and fall asleep immediately. The next two days are the absolute crazy; they only see each other when Can drives them to the court and then late at night when they return back home.

* * * * * *

Game day is here. They play at their headquarters and Mevkibe along with Sanem's father, Nihat have tickets to watch the match. Both Can and Sanem are in the locker rooms, getting ready. She's extremely nervous. Her first game ever in Istanbul and on the top of that she's leading some part of the choreography. She takes a deep breath, prays to God and steps out in the field as the crowd cheers.

Can tries to concentrate his mind on his game and not on Sanem. He knows she's anxious and he tries to calm her down on their way here but there was so much he could do. He calls his team around him, encourages them, and they walk out of the lockers waiting for the cheerleaders to finish their performance.

The moment she starts dancing everything fades away. She's focused, determined, with precision in her every move. Can is watching her from afar, admiring her, feeling extremely proud of his girl. Their routine is over and he has to restrain himself from clapping like a mad man. It's time to do his thing.

She's leaving out a breath she didn't know she was holding and stares at her parents. They are smiling and nod at her proudly. The cheerleaders step aside as the basketball team walks in. It's her turn to stay back and watch him.  

The first twenty minutes they were a little behind in the scoreboard. She was cheering louder when he was scoring a point and he was winking at her every single time, like he was devoting it to her. If the rest of the team were suspecting by then that they were together now they were one hundred percent sure. The game went smoothly. After sometime they took the lead and then they only increased the difference until they won.

* * * * * * 

To celebrate their first game and victory they gathered to the bar across the street. Sanem's parents went back to her apartment after Can assured Mevkibe that he will be the one returning her home. She and Can then join the rest at the bar. Metin and Akif can't stop teasing Can, saying that tomorrow every paper and broadcast will talk about them, and how in love the famous basketball player is. Truth be told he didn't think of that but he couldn't care less. It was Sanems reaction that worried him.

For now she was dancing around with her girls and she was happy. He feels her hand on his wrist pulling him to dance. It's not like he can say no to her so he follows her. She wraps her hands around his neck and looks at him with tipsy eyes. "I'm so proud of you." He tells her "You were amazing out there." She tilts her head like dogs do when they want to look cute "And you were the sweetest, although I think you could have scored more point if you didn't look at me constantly..."

She buries her head in his chest and purrs lightly. He hates to admit it but she is right. "Well you weren't much of a help, you kept saying my name. I had to look..." he says to defend himself.

"Hmm yeah, it's all my fault babe."

They kept dancing, staying in their bubble. None of them saw the reporter that followed them or notices that he was taking pictures.

"Shall we go home?" he asks after some time.

"I can't go home drunk... What if something happens to me during the night huh? I have to sleep at your house tonight so you can take care of me..." she clenches to him more, pulling him closer.

"I guess you forgot that your parents are going to be with you right?"

She stares at him confused "One more reason Can!!! Can they see me like this? No they can't! You can't get rid of me tonight."

"Like I want to get rid of you anytime soon... You are my sweet trouble."

"I am! Wait." She puts her phone of the pocket of her jeans

"What are you...?"

"Wait" she says slurry "MOM!!! Oh loud voice, sorry. I'm going to stay at Can's house tonight don't worry k? Bye!!!" and she closes the phone. "All settled, can we go now?"

Can looks at her terrified. Her phone rings again and he answers it "I'm so sorry on her behalf ma'am. I promise to get her home soon."

"I just called to check if you were with her son. Now I'm calm. Just take care of her ok?"

"But Mister Nihat?" Can asks cautiously.

"Don't worry about him." Sanem drags him so they can leave. "Just take care of my daughter. Have a good night."

They say their goodbyes, with no need to say an excuse they can all see the state Sanem is.

She falls into his chest, her hand on his waist for balance. "See? I told you there would be no problems." He sits her on the car seat, closes the door and runs to start the car.

"You are lucky that I love you." He says without noticing. He panics but he sees her with her eyes closed so he is relieved. He didn't want her to hear it now out of fear that she will run away.

"I love you too Can, sometimes more than myself."