Chapter 10: Colorful Red

I have escaped that annoying and stupid brother of mine. He seems reluctant, but I guess there is something more important to discuss that it requires me to leave.

But brother did try to make me stay despite the importance of it. I only managed to convince him by saying I'm going to make friends with Lady Corrine. Everyone here knows my circumstances so they won't be so dumb to try to bully me, a daughter of a ducal household.

"I'm sorry, Lady Corrine for using you" I apologize to the girl beside me. I forced her to watch a siblings' fight and used her to get out of the PDA situation. 

"No! It's alright, Lady Alexandra! After all, it looks like you really want to get out" Corrine said with a flustered voice. It must be quite nervous for her to have been apologized by someone higher than her.

"Hehehe" I chuckled. Unlike Lucy, who is quite observant and mischevious, Lady Corrine is much more like a child. From the looks of it, this is also her debut on the society. I continued, "Please drop the formalities. Call me Alex instead"

"Eh? Is it alright?" she said as with a faint hope in her voice.

That's right, this is how a normal child supposed to act. Shy yet adorably cute! 

"It's alright. Do you mind if I call you Cory?" I asked her. 

"No! I don't mind! That means we're friends, right?" she clasped her hand as she happily celebrates that she finally made a friend. Good for you.

It's not good to go any further. I stopped my feet from walking, getting her attention.

I don't know why she would become friends with a cursed person like me. Does she not know that I have a curse with me even with the big obvious mark on my face?

I asked, "I don't know if I have the right to be your friend as I have this cursed mark on my face... I hope it won't bother you"

"I don't mind! What matters is that we became friends! Despite that mark, your eyes are more beautiful! They shine like stars above! I have never seen such eye color like that!" Is she describing my eyes? She's quite... no, too excited about it...

I chuckled at her excitement, hiding the fact that I am quite disturbed about it. I explained "These red eyes of mine are proof that we, Xerxes, are the sword of the Royal Family" 

For our lineage hold the strength to protect the Royal Family and the country. No matter what, it is our duty.

Those words have been ringing in my ears for hundreds of times by my parents and teachers. It is like I have no choice but to follow my fate that was destined by others. Unfortunately, I like fighting against fate.

A small smirk formed in my lips. Yes, I have always fought against fate in my past life. 

And now, something interesting is about to happen. 

"Why are you smiling?" Corrine asked me. From the looks of it, she was a bit scared due to my smile. I don't know how I look but, imagine a girl smiling schemingly. Even I would find it scary. 

"You know, my life these years were quite boring" I look at the garden, continuing to smile.

It is a fact that ever since I have been living my life in this world, it was quite boring. The peacefulness and the joy that I felt here, felt so unreal. Maybe... I have gotten used to war so long that I felt numb against this setting.

It felt so nice, that I feel all the things I have done in the past felt wasted. The blood and sweat that I have sacrificed... Did everything I did have been wasted?

I want an answer. I always do.

In the end, I am just a soldier who lost her meaning due to the peacefulness.

A gun appeared on my right hand as I fire it at Corrine. No, I didn't hit her. I was hitting the person behind her.

Another person enters the fight. I fire the gun at him but he managed to dodge it. Before he could harm us, I closed our distance and smack his stomach and killed him with a knife hidden in my sleeves.

Just because I'm blind doesn't mean I cannot fight. Sick person? I have long abandoned that role. I can just heal myself if I began to feel weak. It's called abusing--, no, taking advantage of my power.

It looks like this lifeless and dull life of mine will finally be sprayed once more with blood.

Now, let's dance!

***

Hello everybody! The plot has finally started to get interesting! I barely managed to get this chapter done as I am doing my project. It took me overnight just to finish the half! It was so hard that I no longer want to go to school tomorrow! Now, here am I, finishing the other half.

Anyway, what do you think about the two chapters I release this week? I almost got a writer's block... It was so hard... I hope you guys like it!