Chapter 16

Katherine studied her reflection.  She was…striking.  Elegant, even.  “I shouldn’t be dressed this way on Easter Sunday.”

Anne rolled her eyes.  “Don’t be middle class, Katie.”

Katherine did something she hadn’t done for twenty years: she pinched her cheeks to bring a little blush into them.  She would have taken a deep breath if she only could have.  With Anne’s help they got Robbie in position in the sitting room for Mr. Spears’ arrival, announced officially by Forrester a few moments later.

“Miss Cameron, Lady Torrington, Mr. Cameron. It is a pleasure to be in your company once again.”  Andrew was startled by Katherine’s appearance but was adept enough socially to not show it.  What he consciously did was return his eyes to her after his around-the-room greetings and quickly look her up and down.  Gauging Lady Torrington’s not-quite-subtle-enough reaction to this act told Andrew what he wanted to know about the situation.

Katherine sat quietly.  Anne stared at her for several seconds, then took over.  “Please sit with us for a while, Mr. Spears, while final preparations are made for dinner.”

Andrew had been careful to dress correctly for the occasion – even taking the extra step of checking with Mr. Huntly of the Wallace to get it just right - and with both he and Katherine in finery the afternoon was in some danger of taking an overly formal tone.  He ignored the open chair, strode across the room and sat down next to Robert on the love seat, putting his arm across the back over the boy’s shoulders.  “Mr. Cameron, thank you again for visiting me on Friday.  My wish is that you enjoyed it half as much as I.”

Andrew wanted an opportunity to look at Katherine at length.  He turned to her and said, “Miss Cameron, I hope with a week gone by in your stable that Ink is fulfilling some of the promise you detected in her.”

Andrew knew from long experience that new horse is a trustworthy topic in social settings, and his unwarranted compliment served as the perfect conversational lubricant for his hostess. 

“Yes, thank you, Mr. Spears.  Forrester reports that all signs of lameness are gone and that Ink is now eating quite a bit more than Toffee. He has already spoken to the local farrier and will be taking her for new shoes tomorrow.   William brushed her down twice a day for three days straight to remove the loose winter hair.  She really looks quite the little beauty.  Of course, she still needs to regain some weight, but we’re looking forward to seeing how she works in harness.”

It had been a good opener.  Katherine was visibly more relaxed as she finished speaking.   Then Anne added, “Yes, and Katie’s man got out her aunt’s saddle and says it fits the horse, so perhaps the two of you will be able to go riding together soon.”

Katherine’s lost look returned, and Andrew understood that he had it backwards: Miss Cameron was safe enough; it was Lady Torrington that was dangerous.

Fortunately Forrester arrived to announce, “The dinner is ready, Miss Cameron.”

The meal got underway. Anne had an interrogation planned, but Andrew stole a march on her by asking, “Miss Cameron, what topics does your booklet cover?”

Anne eyes opened to the disaster – once Katherine got speaking passionately about her work she could go for the entire meal.  Katherine began explaining about the poor Highland-raised girls’ deficiency in knowledge of disease control, personal hygiene, nutrition, child rearing, banking, legal matters, employment rights and the like once they moved into the big city. 

She had an extensive correspondence list and was quite proud of her sources of information.  She had adapted for use in a home the sanitary disease prevention and control knowledge she’d received in letters from the famous nurse Miss Nightingale.  She prattled on and on.   “…and I’m particular indebted to the works of Jane Marcet on practical economics.”