Chapter 47

“Dinner is served, sir, madam.”

“Thank you, Moore.  Lord Irvine.”  Anne graced him with a radiant smile.

The young Earl proffered his arm to Anne and led the party into the dining hall. Torrington offered his arm to Katherine and she smiled at him as she took it.

“I’m touched by your generosity and hospitality,” began the earl.  “When I requested to meet with you, Lord Torrington, I was imagining we might get together in London.  Instead you have journeyed all the way home to host me at your estate.”

“Well, the trains make it easy these days.  Besides, our families’ estates have lain side-by-side for two centuries.  We should know each other better, and what more appropriate venue that here?”

“Yes, but with parliament in session, I’m embarrassed by your gift of time.”

“Parliament was considering little of consequence.”

The earl happened to glance across the table at Katherine.  He couldn’t miss the pensive look she was giving her brother.  “Miss Cameron, why does a mention of parliament bring forth that awful expression on such a lovely face?”

“My apologies for being so transparent, my lord.  It’s just…no, never mind.”

The earl pressed the issue.  “Please, Miss Cameron, tell me.”

Katherine looked at him.  “Understand, Lord Irvine, I’m terribly proud of the seriousness my brother displays to his position…” Katherine didn’t need to speak of the contrast to her father.  “…but Prime Minister Disraeli is trying to push through both the Public Health Act and the Sale of Food and Drugs Act.  There are men in the House of Lords that would gut that legislation and make them meaningless.” 

She considered her brother.  What facet would appeal to him?  “Those Acts probably all sound like Glasgow evangelical liberalism to both of you, but the country – and the empire - can’t be strong unless its people are strong.”

“That’s an interesting way to look at it, Kay, and an idea I hadn’t considered.”  The comment was the greatest compliment he’d ever paid his sister.

“Yes,” the earl said, “how can one refuse commission like that, Torrington?  Disraeli is a good man, and I’m relieved he’s replaced Gladstone.  But I came here as a neighbor and a friend and didn’t mean to start talking politics.  Let’s switch to local gossip. You had the most remarkable house guest last week, Lady Torrington.”

Her husband skewered the cut of beef on his plate and savagely sliced it in two – it wasn’t his favorite dinner topic.  Anne ignored him.  “Thank you, yes, my lord, our Mr. Spears.”

“We had three lovely early morning rides together.  Did you know, Torrington,” the earl continued, “the man has farms in California, New Zealand and the Sandwich Islands in addition to his fleet of ships?  I was impressed with the way he was leveraging one operation off the other.  He’s creating the future, yet seems completely unaffected by it all.  The pheasant with the sauce is lovely, by the way, Lady Torrington.  My compliments to your cook.”

“Thank you, my lord.”

“Is young Mr. Cameron enjoying the pony?”

“Lord Irvine, your lovely gift has brought substantial frustration to his governess and her lessons.  The boy and the little horse have become inseparable.”

The earl let out a hearty laugh.  “Oh, that pleases me to no end.  Anyway, Torrington, I’m looking into this New Zealand operation of Spears, and I think I’m going to invest.  It looks like a great opportunity, and also something I can get my brother involved in.”