Chapter 58

Having but two servants for most of her tenure at the Tower, Katherine was no stranger to housework.  Ceana was told to remain sewing on the new dress, and Katherine set about sweeping, dusting, changing the bed linens and gathering the laundry to be picked up by the service on Monday.  Fiona got in the way with tremendous enthusiasm, cheerfully pitching in with the work and only slowing things down a little.

They broke for meals, but then Ceana went right back to work, borrowing Fiona’s body for a measurement or fitting every so often.  She was good to her estimate, and finished the new dress shortly after 8 o’clock that evening.  As a surprise and reward for the girl’s intense dedication to the skillful work, Katherine and Fiona carried the hot bath water up themselves and Katherine ordered the reluctant girl to bathe first.

The three women drew some stares the following morning at services.  Katherine wasn’t surprised as they were all flaunting fashion in their aesthetic dresses.  As they began the walk back to the Tower, Ceana produced a note that had been pressed into her hand by Reverend Shanks’ daughter Jessie.  It had Katherine’s name on the outside, and inside the cryptic message, “I consider myself your friend as well as your pastor.  If you desire council, I am at your service.  Sincerely, Reverend Shanks.”  Katherine gave the missive a puzzled smile and put it in her pocket.

After a simple luncheon, they retired to the parlor to read and play the piano.  As Ceana could do neither, she grew restless and wished it wasn’t Sunday and she could do something.  Finally, she got up enough courage to offer, “I should go to the stable.”

Katherine looked at her.

“When Mr. Forrester isn’t here, Mr. Spears looks to the horses.  Water.  Oats.  He showed me what to do.”

Katherine looked startled.  Ceana grew nervous as she tried to explain.  “Mr. Spears…always kind to the horses.  In the Bible. There was an ox…that needed to be cared for on Sunday.  He said.”

The girl sensed something was wrong.  She stared at the floor.

Katherine sat very still and stiff.  Fiona watched her closely.

Finally.  “Of course, dear girl.  Go.”

Ceana bolted from the parlor and down the stairs toward the back door.  Fiona crossed to Katherine and put her arms around her.  “Cry if you need to.”

Katherine pressed her face into the young woman’s shoulder.  “It’s not just me who was hurt.  He was being untrue to his wife.  Why are they so cruel?  Why do men behave thus?”

Ayson sat next to the boiler, warming himself.  “It really doesn’t bother you, Spears?”

“No.”

“You are one cold blooded fellow.  My first few minutes in the hold don’t go too badly, but by the time we take all the readings, I’m frozen stiff.”

“Mine were all fine.  How were the readings you took?”

“The thermometers in the forward starboard corner are just barely below freezing.”

“Not good.  A problem with the insulation?”

“That’s my guess.  The ground cork has probably settled.  We can redistribute the ducting to compensate.”

“Let’s wait until we’re at anchor in Reykjavik.”

“Spears, I’ve been thinking.”

“Stunning.  Shall I have the captain call all hands to the deck?”