Chapter 64

They were finishing the desert course – that is, Andrew and Ceana – when the flushed and rumpled Aysons arrived at the table.  Andrew launched right in.  “Princess, I believe you have something to tell Mrs. Ayson.”

The girl looked frightened.  “Go ahead, Princess.  I know it’s hard for you, but no one here is going to strike you. You will not hear so much as raised voice.  I promise.”

She looked at him and nodded, trustingly.  “Mrs. Ayson, I would like to most humbly and sincerely apologize to you.  I have violated your trust.  Friday morning Miss Cameron paid a call here while you were away.  Here is her card.”  She held it out.

“Why did you take the card, Miss Spears?”

“I didn’t want her to hurt Mr. Spears anymore.  She said ugly, hateful things about him.  I overheard you say some things about her character, too.”

“Princess!  Your loyalty to me is noted, but no trying to implicate others.”

“Yes, sir.”

Andrew looked sternly at the girl. “This is the first thing you have stolen while in my acquaintance, and it will be the last.  Now as punishment, you may go to bed without supper.”

Ian offered a puzzled expression. “But it looks like she’s already finished supper.”

Andrew looked at Ceana’s plate, his own, the plates of the Aysons and then the couple themselves.  “Well, she made it to the meal on time, Ayson.  Can’t fault her for that.”

Andrew looked at the girl.  It was unmistakable, and a first – she was trying not to laugh. 

“Miss Spears, come here.”  The girl’s smirk disappeared as she rose from her seat and tenuously walked to Mrs. Ayson.  Agnes threw open her arms and gathered Ceana into a hug.  “You did hear me say some unkind things about Miss Cameron, and that now embarrasses me upon recollection.  I am truly sorry I provided such a poor example of how a lady should behave, Miss Spears.  Now, I suspect Mr. Spears is going to be busy tomorrow morning.  Would you like to go shopping with me?”

“Oh, yes ma’am.  I can carry packages and open doors and help you find things that look good on you and do anything you want!”

Agnes started to say something in response, but stopped herself.  “I’ll stop by your room in a bit for a goodnight kiss, Miss Spears.”

“Yes ma’am, and thank you.  I’m sorry again; you’ve been ever so kind to me.  Goodnight Mr. Spears.”  She looked down the table.  “Goodnight, Mr. Ayson.”

“Right,” Andrew said after she’d cleared the room, “I’ve a little more information.  There remains a mysterious disappointment on the part of Miss Cameron directed towards me.  For my part, I no longer hold anything against her.”

“But you intend to see that situation changed, I gather?”

“Ayson!  A witticism!  Bravo. Now as I was saying, it seems that angry words were spoken at Miss Cameron’s home, directed towards yours truly.  A certain young woman rose to my defense.  It was demanded that said young woman recant and apologize.  She refused, and voluntarily and of her own volition left the premises.”

Agnes gasped.  “She said she had to leave!”

“Because she could no longer abide being at a place where my name was held in disrepute.”

Ian shook his head sadly.  “I hope her dream wasn’t to travel and see the world.”

“Ayson, whatever you’ve been doing in the recent past, do lots more of it.  It’s making you an ever so much more entertaining dinner companion.  Now, I intend to get to the bottom of the remaining mystery.  For this I will require a horse and saddle.”