Chapter 48

Andrew steered Ceana into the line of people waiting to greet the pastor after the service.  He could feel the tension in her body as they moved closer.  “Reverend Shanks.”  Andrew offered his hand.

“Why, Mr. Spears, a pleasure to see you again.  And who is this?”

“This is Ceana; she’s new at Miss Cameron’s house.”

“Why, you look about the same age as my daughter.  Jessie!”

A bright-faced girl bounded over.  “Jessie, this is a new girl up at Miss Cameron’s.  Her name is Ceana.”

The pastor’s daughter beamed.  “That’s a pretty name.  Welcome to Maryhill!”

Ceana managed about a quarter of a smile as she looked at the ground and whispered, “Thank you.”  She and Andrew moved on.

“Ceana, I know that wasn’t easy for you.  Good job.”

“Nice.  They…were nice.”

“And you’re a nice person too, Ceana.  Nice people are nice to each other.  Now let’s go get ready for Miss Cameron’s return.”

Andrew sat down at his desk at the Wallace that evening.

Sunday, April 25th, 1875

Dear Katherine,

I was greatly saddened upon receiving the telegram from Lady Torrington this afternoon informing me of your sudden illness.  Of course I’m sorry that you weren’t able to return to Glasgow but I’m not so selfish as to want you anywhere but where you are now.  It is for the best that you are in a healthier place that the city and are surrounded by people that care deeply for you and can take care of you.

I’ve just written your sister a lengthy letter about the latest thinking on the subject of treatment of influenza and stomach ailments, either of which woulb answer for the symptoms she related, and strongly encouraged Lady Torrington to scrupulously follow the advice in the first three paragraphs.  Darling Katherine, take every correct action to knit your health back together. 

I also instructed her that I would stand good for the cost of another electric telegram should your condition worsen.  I can be by your side in perhaps 18 hours after receiving notice, of course depending on the train schedule and the quality of mount available at the Alberfeldy livery. 

Know that Forrester has life at the Tower well in hand.  My surprise qift is ready and waiting when you get here.  Your new girl is doing very well with the sewing machine, makes Mrs. MacVail happy and even seems to please the exacting Forrester. 

Forrester was very surprised when he received the letter from Mr. Taylor, but I’m pleased to report that Ink arrived none the worse for her sea voyage yesterday.  She and Bandersnatch look perfect together.  We should get the single tree from Mr. Buchanan this week.

By the way, I’ve arranged with Mr. Huntly (at the Wallace, you’ll remember) for Mrs. Gordon to have this coming Saturday off, and presented Forrester with two tickets from Broomielaw “doon the water” for a day.  My hope is they will come back engaged.